|Alternative Health Information|
The Maharishi Ayurveda Approach to Allergies
Allergies: The Ayurvedic Answer
In a healthy body, the allergic response serves to protect against invasion by harmful agents. Secretions and inflammation help our immune cells get into the affected tissue, dilute the toxic agent and help wash it away. "Allergies" become a health problem when an excessive and unwanted allergic response occurs to particles that are part of our normal environment and are not actually dangerous to the body.
Some individuals are born with allergies, and have a genetic susceptibility to them. However, most allergies are acquired after birth. While inborn allergies can often be helped by the measures discussed in this article, acquired allergies are generally more responsive to such behavioral approaches, and are the main focus of this article.
The Main Cause of Allergies
Although pollen, dust, dander, trees and other allergens are the trigger for allergies in susceptible people, they are not the underlying cause. Many people are exposed to these substances every day without developing allergic reactions. Rather, it is the inner condition of the body that determines whether an allergic response results from exposure to an allergen.
According to Maharishi Ayurveda, allergies result when the body has accumulated excess wastes, toxins and impurities. How does this happen? According to Ayurvedic theory, improperly digested foods (called ama), and impurities, such as chemical additives, are absorbed into the body, travel through the circulation and lodge in the respiratory tissues, skin and other tissues prone to allergy. These accumulated wastes and toxins block the channels, trapping the toxins inside the tissues, and activating the immune system. When additional allergens such as pollen or dust arrive on the scene, the already irritated immune system goes into "high gear," creating the symptoms of an allergy attack.
Symptoms will vary depending on the tissue that has accumulated the toxic waste (ama visha.). If the tissue involved is the digestive tract, diarrhea can result. If in the skin, a rash or hives may occur. And if the respiratory tract is involved, sneezing, inflammation and mucous drainage will occur.
Since the source of allergies lies with our diet and digestion, adopting a proper diet and improving digestion are "job one" in the fight against allergies. Next, it is valuable to use internal cleansing regimens to reduce the clogging and accumulated impurities.
Recommended Diet for Allergies
The main dietary and eating guidelines for allergies are as follows.
1. Eat the largest meal of the day at lunch, between 12:00 and 1:00 PM, when your digestion is strongest. The sun-- the heat element in nature-- enlivens agni, the fire of digestion and metabolism, making our digestion strongest at the height of the day. Ayurveda recommends eating the largest meal when you are most capable of digesting it.
2. Avoid eating heavy meals in the evening. The single biggest contribution to toxins and clogging in the body comes from eating heavy evening meals, particularly after 7 PM. Since digestion is much weaker in the evening, it is vital to eat lighter, more easily digested meals at that time. Eat a warm, freshly cooked vegetarian evening meal without fried foods, desserts, cheese, yogurt or other curdled products, since these are heavy for digestion and cause more blockage, congestion and mucous.
3. Eat warm food. Warm food is much easier to digest than cold food. Ayurveda recommends we eat fresh warm food, freshly prepared. Avoid micro-waving, which has been shown to destroy over 90% of the protective antioxidants in the food. Also, avoid cold drinks, ice cream, frozen yogurt and other cold foods.
4. Avoid leftovers. Once food has been heated and then gets put back in the refrigerator it becomes hard to digest and very clogging in nature.
5. Avoid excessively hot spices, sour and acidic foods. These foods are irritating to the body and promote inflammation, according to Ayurveda. Many people experience their allergies become worse when they eat foods with chilis, tomato sauces, hard or aged cheeses, refined sugar and sweets, and acidic foods. Bell pepper, eggplant and potato should also be avoided due to their channel-clogging effects.
6. Do include detoxifying spices in your daily diet. Turmeric in particular has anti-allergy, immune-balancing effects. Coriander helps to detoxify on a cellular level; fennel cools and balances; ginger helps the digestion and dissolves ama, and black pepper clears the channels and increases bioavailability of nutrients. Make a spice mixture of 6 parts fennel, cumin and coriander, 4 parts turmeric and 1 part each of ginger and black pepper. Freshly grind the spices, sauté them in a pan without oil until lightly browned, and put in a small airtight container. Carry them with you and sprinkle _ to 1 tsp. on your food at each meal, and cook with them when at home.
7. Do sip boiled warm or hot water about every half hour during the day around the change of seasons, to help your body purify and to support good digestion.
Behavioral Approaches to Reducing Allergies
Diet is not the only consideration in allergies. Ayurvedic theory also recommends the following behavioral changes to help tone down the allergic response.
1. Go to bed by 10:00 P.M. Between 10 PM and 2 AM, the body performs a natural cycle of internal cleansing. If we stay up after 10 PM, we interfere with this metabolic "house cleaning" and toxins and impurities begin to accumulate. Worse yet, the metabolic activity of cleansing tends to trigger hunger, and we may be tempted to indulge in the proverbial "midnight snack." Unfortunately, eating after 10 PM further compromises the cleansing process and leads to even more waste accumulation, and more allergy tendency. On the other hand, going to bed by 10 PM improves the overall rejuvenative quality of sleep. You will find that your early bedtime habit helps not only your allergies, but your energy and complexion as well!
2. Cleanse the body before the allergy season. The traditional Ayurvedic answer to allergies includes purifying the body of ama and toxins before allergy season begins to prevent symptoms from arising at all. This internal cleansing may be done at home or, more thoroughly, through in-residence cleansing treatments called panchakarma or Maharishi Rejuvenation Therapy.
3. Have a regular routine of life. Eating, sleeping, working and exercising at about the same time each day is very balancing and stabilizing to the immune system and to the body as a whole. Allergies tend to be aggravated when routine of life is hectic and scattered.
4. Practice Yoga asanas and meditation. Yogas asanas and meditation are very balancing to all aspects of mind and body and have been used by many people to reduce allergy symptoms. For meditation, I suggest the TM technique because of its ease of practice and scientific verification.
The best approach to allergies is to focus on good eating habits, practice stress reduction and do natural cleansing before the allergy season.
Note: This article is for educational purposes only and is not meant to diagnose or treat disease. Please consult your physician regarding any symptoms you have or before you make changes in lifestyle and diet.
Statements in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended for the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of disease.
About The Author
Nancy Lonsdorf M.D. received her M.D. from Johns Hopkins and did her postgraduate training at Stanford. She has studied Ayurveda with some of the world's most renowned Ayurvedic physicians in India, Europe and the U.S. Dr. Lonsdorf has 18 years of clinical experience with Ayurveda and is currently the Medical Director of The Raj Ayurveda Health Center in Vedic City Iowa.
Dr. Lonsdorf has authored two books on Ayurveda and women's health:
1. A Woman's Best Medicine (Penguin/Putnam 1995 ; ISBN 0-87477-785-2) describing the Ayurvedic approach to the major issues in women's health
2. The Ageless Woman: Health and Beauty after Forty with Maharishi Ayurveda (MCD Century Publications 2004 ISBN#: 0-9721233-5-0) on anti-aging recommendations and longevity for women.
Doctor Lonsdorf's contact information is:
Nancy Lonsdorf M.D.
web site url: http://www.ayurveda-ayurvedic.com/
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Lonsdorf photo for web at: http://www.ayurveda-ayurvedic.com/images/ayurveda%20physician.jpg
Warner Chappell launches Limited Edition Music partnership to sign alternative rock, pop, and country songwriters - Music Business Worldwide
Warner Chappell launches Limited Edition Music partnership to sign alternative rock, pop, and country songwriters Music Business Worldwide
Bitcoin is up 60% so far this year as investors rediscover appeal as alternative banking system - CNBC
Bitcoin is up 60% so far this year as investors rediscover appeal as alternative banking system CNBC
11 Best Alternative Fuel Stocks To Buy Right Now Yahoo Finance
Kia EV5 concept hints at electric Sportage alternative Motor Authority
CafeMedia Dishes On Alternative IDs AdExchanger
Texas Lawmakers Vote To Allow Medical Marijuana As Opioid ... Marijuana Moment
ProVeg: Transition to alternative protein production trumps DAIRY ... FoodNavigator-USA.com
JPMorgan advising First Republic on strategic alternatives, including a capital raise, sources say - CNBC
JPMorgan advising First Republic on strategic alternatives, including a capital raise, sources say CNBC
Some Montavilla residents push back, mostly politely, against plans for alternative homeless shelters in SE P - OregonLive
Some Montavilla residents push back, mostly politely, against plans for alternative homeless shelters in SE P OregonLive
Linkin Park's âLostâ hits #1 on ï»¿'Billboardï»¿' Alternative Airplay chart ... - 105.7 The Point
Why is TikTok engulfed in controversy? And if you want alternatives, what are they? - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ
Why is TikTok engulfed in controversy? And if you want alternatives, what are they? NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ
âA Very Humbling Experience,â Students Reflect On Alternative ... The Hilltop Online
Alternative Natural Burial Cemetery Fox Baltimore
Bill to Add Firing Squad as Alternative Method of Execution in Idaho ... - bigcountrynewsconnection.com
Bill to Add Firing Squad as Alternative Method of Execution in Idaho ... bigcountrynewsconnection.com
How to Run a ChatGPT Alternative on Your Local PC Tom's Hardware
Safe and Effective Ways When Using Alternative Home Heating ... Prince William County
Alternative Lending Options for E-commerce Business Fintech Finance
Russia OKs alternative civil service for mobilized believer The Associated Press
What Is Hive Social? The Twitter Alternative You Should Try MUO - MakeUseOf
Maryland Today | What It Takes: Alternative Breaks Maryland Today
Alternative asset manager opens office in Frankfurt International Adviser
A Feel-Good Alternative to Airbnb That Will Earn You Bragging Rights The Wall Street Journal
Oil refinery public hearing postponed, company considering ... Victoria Advocate
ACA Coffee Alternative: The perfect solution for coffee lovers seeking a healthier, sustainable, and deli - Benzinga
ACA Coffee Alternative: The perfect solution for coffee lovers seeking a healthier, sustainable, and deli Benzinga
Biden administration's abortion agenda: Push chemical abortion ... Washington Examiner
New in Bladder Cancer Treatment: An Effective, Accessible Chemotherapy Solution to the Global BCG Vaccine S... - SurvivorNet
New in Bladder Cancer Treatment: An Effective, Accessible Chemotherapy Solution to the Global BCG Vaccine S... SurvivorNet
Seeking public input: new proposal for alternative mortgage ... - Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Seeking public input: new proposal for alternative mortgage ... Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
An Alternative View Swansea City
EP Review: Dazy - 'OTHERBODY' getalternative.com
Inside IIT Madras: Institute may work on regional alternative to ChatGPT, says director V Kamakoti - Moneycontrol
Inside IIT Madras: Institute may work on regional alternative to ChatGPT, says director V Kamakoti Moneycontrol
The Cloud Bread Co. Introduces Bread Alternative | Food Engineering Food Engineering Magazine
How These Alternative Credit Cards Can Help You Build Credit ... U.S News & World Report Money
Kikkoman adding soy sauce alternative Food Business News
Millow: Mycelium and oats make 'completely new' protein for ... FoodNavigator.com
What are the best alternatives to Audible? Good e-Reader
Ogden school officials: New home needed for alternative high school Standard-Examiner
12 Alternative Uses For Instant Mashed Potatoes Tasting Table
Infomaniak launches an attractive alternative to Wix that simplifies the creation of websites and online - EIN News
Infomaniak launches an attractive alternative to Wix that simplifies the creation of websites and online EIN News
A Statin Alternative Joins Drugs That Can Reduce Heart Attack Risk The New York Times
An Alternative Theory of Inertia will Get Tested in Space Universe Today
NFL rule proposals: Onside kick alternative, possible wild-card seeding adjustment and more for 2023 season - CBS Sports
NFL rule proposals: Onside kick alternative, possible wild-card seeding adjustment and more for 2023 season CBS Sports
Alternative Facts, by Andrew Cockburn Harper's Magazine
Komo AI: Can It Be A Bing Alternative? Dataconomy
Abington students focus on social justice issues at Alternative Spring ... - Pennsylvania State University
Abington students focus on social justice issues at Alternative Spring ... Pennsylvania State University
Baiduâs ChatGPT alternative gets positive reviews for Chinese translations - South China Morning Post
Baiduâs ChatGPT alternative gets positive reviews for Chinese translations South China Morning Post
8 Dutch oven alternatives | Homes & Gardens
SZA has always been alternativeâyou just weren't listening Alternative Press
Etsy begins processing seller payments via alternative partners after delays caused by SVB implosion - TechCrunch
Etsy begins processing seller payments via alternative partners after delays caused by SVB implosion TechCrunch
Best ViewerLabs Alternative in 2023- Choose Best One The Tribune India
Alternative bladder cancer treatment emerges amid worldwide ... The University of Iowa
31 Days of MS: Why I decided to pursue alternative MS treatments â... - Multiple Sclerosis News Today
31 Days of MS: Why I decided to pursue alternative MS treatments â... Multiple Sclerosis News Today
Alternative Student Breaks offering meaningful substitutes for ... - Office of Communications and Marketing
Alternative Student Breaks offering meaningful substitutes for ... Office of Communications and Marketing
An Udderly Ricidulous Home Remedy
Home Remedies - Facts or Quacks?That's what I recently asked myself. Myths and legends often have their basis in a grain of truth.
Migraines Are The Great Equalizers
Migraine headaches must be one of the great equalizers that tell you in no uncertain terms to stop what ever you are doing now!Anyone who has suffered from this kind of headache will be able to relate to this article, it is something like childbirth; it's not something you can fully appreciate unless you have experienced it.I must have been about eleven or twelve years old when I had my first one.
Not Sure About the Mind-Body Connection? You Already Use It To Produce Pain Relief
But Not Nearly Often EnoughIf you're skeptical about your ability to use your own subconscious to ease pain, consider this: you already do it. But you do it by accident, so you don't notice.
Thyme: Elegance Drifting Through the Ages of Time
Thyme is a herb that has been cultivated for centuries for both its medicinal and culinary uses.HistoryThe use of thyme has been recorded since 3000BC when the Sumerians used it as a medicinal ingredient while the Egyptians used it in the mummification process.
Focus Your Light: Earning Money From Home When You Have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome /Fibromyalgia
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome /Fibromyalgia makes you extremely tired, exhausted and weak. It means you only have a fraction of the waking hours that most people enjoy - and even those waking hours are often spent feeling exhausted and with brain fog.
Aphrodisiacs: Increasing Sexual Desire and Capacity
Are you among the millions of people worldwide who are otherwise healthy but who've lost interest in sex? Do you find it boring and routine? Are you so tired that you'd rather nap than make love? Do you think TV is more stimulating than your partner? Do you have physical symptoms, like vaginal dryness or difficulty with erection, that make sex unpleasant?As a relationship matures it is common, but definitely not necessary, for sex to become predictable and unexciting. One of the first places to start improving your sex life is to elevate your general mood and increase your energy level.
Can I Be Hypnotised?
If you are conscious, have an IQ higher than about 80 (average is 100), have the ability to concentrate, and also have the ability to dream - then you can be hypnotised.You see, hypnosis is a perfectly normal state of consciousness that you will enter into maybe several times a day.
Roundworm and Parasitic Infections
A parasite is an organism that lives off, and generally within, a host body. This can include your body, or the body of an animal, like your pet.
Emotrance & Well-Being
Are you ready to easily release worry, pain or fear and restore your emotional health?Are you ready for a dynamic way of processing life experiences in quicker and more joyful ways?Are you open to the idea of discovering a series of simple steps that lets you adventure into enhanced states of well being and emotional flow?Emotrance is just such a technique and it can be easily learned. The regular application of the Emotrance processes to a variety of emotional scenarios, past and present helps you discover more about your energy body.
Fruits and Juices Important for Relieving Hemorrhoids Part I
Foods to AvoidChili PeppersIt has been found that when you eat a lot of chili peppersthat you can get a burning sensation in the rectum or anus.It is best to avoid eating too many peppers, especially if youhave an advance case of hemorrhoids.
Green Bamboo: Strength in Flexibility
Those who have watched the movie "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" would be familiar with the imagery of bamboo: flexible yet firm, delicate yet strong. These unique qualities make the bamboo fit snugly into ancient Chinese philosophy and endow the health benefits of the bamboo with an air of wisdom and grace.
What AreThe Symptoms Of A Sinus Headache?
Problems with sinuses, give rise to headaches, so you have to know the symptoms of a sinus headache in order to know if you actually have one. The sinuses are small spaces in the facial bones just below the facial skin.
Bach Flower Remedies
Bach Flower remedies are 38 plant and flower based remedies which where created during the 1930s by Dr. Edward Bach.
Sinus Infection Symptoms, Antibiotics, and Alternative Medicine
Modern Living, Complex Health ProblemsIn our post-modern industrial polluted stress-filled bad-diet culture, no one's health is simple. We are plagued by complex long-term illnesses like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, AIDS, even sinus problems.
CPT Codes; What are you Getting Billed for?
All of us visit some sort of medical office from time to time and some of us make the visit a routine. No matter how many times we go in for a checkup or treatment we usually end up paying a relatively inexpensive co-pay for the services rendered to us.
The 5 Hidden Dangers In Toothpaste
A Must Read if You Have Children!Would you allow your family to brush their teeth with engine degreaser or rat poison? The fact is, they probably are and you don't even know it.Dental hygiene products that you and your children use every day may contain toxins that have been linked to cancer, blindness, and even death.
"If you let that fiery wise blood just sit there in your belly, great granddaughter," admonishes Grandmother Growth, "you'll get the urge to quench that heat. You'll get a tickle, a twinge, an urgent call.
Drugstore Hemorrhoid Medications
There are many drugstore and alternative Internet productsfor treating hemorrhoids. Most of the products are notmade to cure or eliminate hemorrhoids but to give youtemporary relief of itching, pain, swelling or bleeding.
Foot Reflexology and Detoxification
Do you know why the rich and famous spend thousands of dollars on 3-days detox spa and detoxification holidays? Find out how the Chinese and Japanese achieve a similar detox health effect for a lot less dollars!What is foot reflexology?Reflexology is an ancient natural therapy which utilizes energy zones on the hands and feet to provide relief for a variety of illnesses as well as to energize the body system. It has been in practised in China for thousands of years and till today, remains a popular and common therapy in China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Thailand and is also increasingly popular in other parts of the world including Europe and USA.
Reduce Asthma And Breathe Free
Asthma can be a serous and often frightening condition that is typified by a tightening of the chest, wheezing and difficulty breathing. Asthma is made up of two underlying components: inflammation and constriction.
|home | site map|