Top Ten Investment Mistakes
1. Lacking an investment plan a/k/a/ "Don't take a trip without packing the map". A pre-planned asset allocation generates positive results and eliminates emotional panic selling.
2. Buying cheap stocks a/k/a "Road crews erect "Dead End" signs for a reason". Most stocks with low share prices also arrive at the bottom for a reason. There must be institutional interest to influence price, and many won't even glance at stocks below $8 or $10.
3. Purchasing story stocks a/k/a "A good fable lulls a child to sleep". Don't get taken by compelling "story" stocks. The plots include a cure for cancer, a big oil strike or a revolutionary invention. Such promising stories rarely prove true. If the "story" materializes, the company will still be a buy.
4. Selling your winners a/k/a "You gotta know when to hold 'em'". Don't sell your winners. These companies combine outstanding management, product and cash flow, creating steady growth for years. Holding these companies for the long run will compensate for other investing mistakes. In fact, one or two big winners can create real wealth.
5. Holding onto a peaked stock a/k/a "Trees don't reach to the heavens, and companies don't continue growth beyond reason". Top companies peak for reasons such as attrition of top management or competition. Systematic pruning will help you avoid a rotting, unhealthy investment.
6. Under diversification a/k/a "Ideas are good, but a mind full of them is better". Resist the urge to rely on a few stocks that you know. Lack of portfolio diversification leads to erratic and volatile returns, and owning several companies in the same industry also isn't diversification. The best investment results happen by investing in leading companies across various industries.
7. Over diversification a/k/a "A portfolio stretched like an old T-shirt won't help an investor benefit from their insight". You don't create diversification by spreading yourself too thin. Although a mind full of ideas is good, ideas acted upon on a whim waste good thoughts.
8. Over trading a/k/a "Replanting a garden every week won't produce high-quality tomatoes". Don't follow market "noise" and bounce from sector to sector or theme to theme. This prevents investors from enjoying the rewards of a long-term winner. Give stocks enough time to mature and compound.
9. Too much margin a/k/a "Living on borrowed time brings a rush of excitement, but it's a quick trip when time expires". Don't underestimate the damage margin can create. The relatively low cost and ease of obtaining leverage takes investors down a dangerous path. When a portfolio on margin declines rapidly, it can catch even experienced investors off guard.
10. Too many options a/k/a "In life there's always options, (but timing makes the difference"). When you buy options, you must be right and use impeccable timing. Options allow an investor to use leverage and control more shares but there are relatively high spreads involved in trading them. Many times investors lose money on their transaction even after they followed correct assumptions.
Mr. Kimmel is a private money manager and the author of "Magnet Investing, build a portfolio and pick winning stocks using your home computer". His methodology was the subject of a Forbes Magazine article (June, 2004).
Barbara Kimmel is an award winning publisher and publicist at Next Decade, Inc. (http://www.nextdecade.com).
SAFE Banking Act Hits a 'Sweet Spot': This Week in Cannabis Investing - Kiplinger's Personal Finance
SAFE Banking Act Hits a 'Sweet Spot': This Week in Cannabis Investing Kiplinger's Personal Finance
Chinese investors in scramble to offload overseas property portfolios South China Morning Post
As CD Rates Top 7%, Financial Planners Explain: Save Cash or Invest? Business Insider
Investing in India's Stock Market and More | White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor
Fed Rate Hikes Have Taken a Toll on Bond Market ETFs Investopedia
Where to Invest $10,000 in a Bear Market The Motley Fool
3 Mistakes High Net Worth Clients Make When Investing The Motley Fool
President's Investing in America Agenda Provides Resources for ... US Department of the Interior
Identifying Untapped Opportunities & Properties Abroad East End Taste Magazine
SEC Brings Much-Needed Transparency to Sustainable Investing Environmental Defense Fund
Palliative Care Remains 'Wild West,' But Home Health Providers Are ... Home Health Care News
10 Best Blue-Chip Stocks to Buy for 2023 | Investing | U.S. News U.S News & World Report Money
A More Impactful Strategy for Sustainable Investing HBR.org Daily
Massive News for Nio Stock Investors The Motley Fool
Legislature deserves thanks for investing in NH's youngest learners ... New Hampshire Bulletin
The Best Stocks to Invest $1,000 in Right Now The Motley Fool
How to Invest in Carnival Cruise Lines The Motley Fool
Neal Logan: Should you invest … or speculate? | Business ... Cleburne Times-Review
10 Best Investments for 2023 | Investing | U.S. News U.S News & World Report Money
Finding emerging opportunities in sustainable investing PitchBook News & Analysis
How Panama Canal Supply Chain Issues Impact Shipping Stocks U.S News & World Report Money
The Week in Impact Investing: Legacy ImpactAlpha
Stripe, Instacart show perils of secondary investing PitchBook News & Analysis
The Gulf Sovereign Wealth Funds: Accumulating Wealth and ... DBRS Morningstar
How to Coach Investors Through Choice Overload Morningstar
Investing in nature - gov.scot The Scottish Government
Farming Investing Outlook EisnerAmper
Harry Domash, Online Investing | Exchange-traded funds offer positive returns in down market - Santa Cruz Sentinel
Harry Domash, Online Investing | Exchange-traded funds offer positive returns in down market Santa Cruz Sentinel
'Magnificent Seven' investing playbook: Amazon's opportunities 'the same as its challenges,' analyst says - Yahoo Finance
'Magnificent Seven' investing playbook: Amazon's opportunities 'the same as its challenges,' analyst says Yahoo Finance
22-year-old who lost $80,000 in crypto: 'I was investing with money I didn't necessarily have' - CNBC
Investing in the radical reorientation of health systems towards ... World Health Organization
Got $3,000? 3 Tech Stocks to Buy and Hold for the Long Term The Motley Fool
Investors devour risky corporate debt in boost to LBO business Financial Times
Just Started Investing? Here's 1 Solid Company to Buy With $200 The Motley Fool
A local company is investing $10 million in an East Tennessee ... Knoxville News Sentinel
The Impact of Investing in Faculty · Babson Thought & Action Babson Thought & Action
8 Top-Rated Income Funds | Investing | U.S. News U.S News & World Report Money
Investing in Emerging Tech GovernmentCIO Media & Research
Is Now a Good Time to Buy Stocks? Warren Buffett's Sensible ... The Motley Fool
Game Changer? Why Alphabet's AI Gemini Release Is Huge for ... The Motley Fool
These 2 Dividend Stocks Are Investing in This Niche Industry ... The Motley Fool
Data Driven Investing in America: New Tools Help Advance ... Economic Development Administration
I've been in and interested in the stock market so long (one year shy of forty years) I can remember when the mutual fund pages in my home town paper were just one page! Now it looks like there are more mutual funds then there are stocks listed on the New York stock exchange.I wonder how many billions of investor dollars are supporting these funds.
Moving Average Convergence Divergence ( MACD ) Charts
The Moving Average Convergence Divergence charts, or MACD charts for short, are a technical indicator that is derived from the more simple moving average.The MACD charts are oscillating indicators, meaning that they move above and below a centerline or zero point.
Bad News - Why The Financial News Media Can Cost You Money!
The communication innovations we have around us today like the internet, financial newspapers, and special interest television channels focused on investing like CNBC are a high speed pipeline of nonsensical chatter. All these sources of information mean that there is no shortage of media people trying to answer our questions about the stock market and specific stocks.
Remembering TEOTWAWKI and Learning from It
Its only been about 5 years since we had major scares in the marketplace regarding Y2K. You might recall that many computer systems were not programmed to be able to understand the change from 1999 to 2000.
Finding False Gold in Penny Stock
As far as traders go, many do not see the penny stock as a solid way to do business. Many believe that dealing with penny stock is a risky business.
Inflation Proof Your Investment Portfolio with ETF's
Even though inflation has been relatively quiet in the U.S.
Love The Thrill of Risk? Invest in an Annuity!
With the stock market in steep decline, people are looking for safe places to invest their savings. Many banks and investment companies are pushing annuities.
Rules of Simple IRA Your Business Needs to Know
A Savings Incentive Match Plan for Employees plan, better known as a SIMPLE plan, is an IRA-based retirement plan available to employers with fewer than 100 employees.Under a SIMPLE IRA plan, an employee can contribute a portion of his pay to his SIMPLE IRA account.
Should You Put Your Annuity in an IRA?
Let me start by answering that question..
Buying Florida Investment Properties and Where Its Hot
Relaxing in Style: Florida Investment PropertiesIn Florida, relaxing in the sun and sand is a way of life. There's no better way to experience a slice of Florida living than buying your own space.
Invisible Mutual Fund Fees Erode Your Returns!
Many investors think that investing in mutual funds is free. What nonsense! Funds collect more than $50 billion a year in fees from investors.
Find Your Investing Soulmate on the Jersey Turnpike
As a followup to a previous column, "Irreconcilable Differences," I received an e-mail from a reader asking how she could ensure, ahead of time, investment compatibility with a future spouse.Unfortunately, like most issues in life, the direct approach does not work.
Advice for International Investors on How to Safeguard Their Profits
What are the risks?Today, investors are increasingly turning to global markets to find opportunities for profit, giving urgency to the issue of protecting returns from foreign exchange risk. While there are many excellent investment opportunities to be found all over the world, volatility in the currency markets can and does affect the profitability of these investments.
What Is A Fair Market Value, Really? If Youre Going To Trade, Be Sure Its Worth It!
I've been involved in online trading, specifically with stock and index options, for several years. In this time, I've spent a great deal of time thinking about value and the fact that anything, be it a stock or currency or even a house, is worth exactly whatever someone else will pay for it.
Retire Dollar Smart
Jim Miller is a registered investment advisor. This means that he is not beholden to a particular brokerage or financial institution.
Why You Need To Buy and Sell Gold Coins (Part 1)
The Value of Gold in a Era of Paper Assets, Stocks, Bonds and Mutual Funds..
Forex Trading Best Practices
FOREX, the term for the FOReign EXchange market, is an international exchange market where currencies from many different countries are bought and sold. Both long-term hedge investors and short-term investors that seek quick profits use FOREX.
Realistic Investing Expectations
Over the long term stocks have provided us with great average return results. But this average return masks a great deal of volatility, because returns have fluctuated within a very wide band.
Effective Advice For A New Generation of Investors
CATCHING A FALLING KNIFEOne of the most common mistakes made by inexperienced investors is trying to "catch a falling knife". This is a habit, common among new investors, of buying stocks that are in "freefall", and it's a bad idea for an investment strategy.
Trading Tips No 4: Technical Analysis The Holy Grail Syndrome
Everyone knows that the Holy Grail of investing and trading is a myth. Finding a good technical analysis tool that will give you a trading system that wins all the time is called the holy grail of trading.
|home | site map|