How Piano Lessons Benefit Young Children
Piano lessons provide a wide range of benefits to young children. Here are my "Top Five."
1. Piano lessons help preserve and develop children's natural creative abilities. The best analogy of how children learn through music that I've found is from Donald Kroodsma's book "The Singing Life of Birds." Every songbird can be identified by the unique song it sings, but a baby bird has to be taught by its parents to sing the family song. Baby birds, like humans, just 'babble' at first. Mother birds sing the family song over and over to the baby birds as they try to repeat it back. At first, the baby birds are only able to sing back one or two notes, but they gradually learn to sing the whole song. And birds with two voice boxes even learn to sing their own harmony parts! Once baby birds learn the family song, they can start developing their very own songs. Similarly, I encourage students to compose their own music after developing needed skills. In my experience, young children in piano are a lot like baby songbirds!
2. Piano lessons help children perfect their natural learning processes. Music is a language, and children are programmed to absorb languages. Studies have shown that kids can most easily learn new languages when they start at a young age. Piano lessons help children develop the very same skills needed to accomplish language arts, like reading. In piano, students learn how to follow directions, scan written materials, think critically, create solutions and translate writing into action. For example, students must look at each note, measure and phrase and decide how to play each note to make the music come to life. Many children (including my own sons) have become much better readers after starting piano lessons. Further, piano lessons involves an interplay of both right and left brain activity that stimulates neural development.
3. Piano lessons help children learn how to stay focused and achieve goals. Piano lessons help children set specific goals and then work towards reaching these goals. Each new piece of music a student learns requires a specific set of skills and playing habits. To achieve these goals students must learn to stay focused and study each note, measure and phrase to understand how to play the song. In doing this students learn to think critically and creatively as they decide how to make the music come to life. Staying focused over time develops good study habits that become natural. This is important because learning to practice good habits that match their goals shows children how to make their dreams come to life!
4. Piano lessons help children develop courage. It takes courage to face challenges without letting our anxiety and worries get the best of us. Piano lessons help students learn to accept challenges such as learning a difficult song, as well as to perform pieces in front of teachers, friends, and families at recitals. Lessons also help kids learn the importance of keeping a positive perspective despite difficulties. Learning to handle uncertainty and stress in a way that minimizes anxiety and maximizes creativity is a valuable life tool. We all need practice at this!
5. Piano lessons teach children to persevere. A key part of accomplishing anything difficult is not to give up easily. As children grow, piano lessons teach kids to try and then try again if they don't initially succeed. However, as Yoda explained to Luke Skywalker, the objective isn't just trying itself, but accomplishing the desired goal -- "Do or do not, there is no try!" Piano lessons teach students how to adjust their expectations if they can't initially master a tough song or skills, and to tackle these big goals by taking small incremental steps. In the end, just like the baby songbirds that eventually learn to sing, students learn that they can accomplish great things and reach their dreams through careful and consistent effort.
Copyright 2005, Cynthia Marie VanLandingham
Cynthia VanLandingham is the owner of TallyPiano & Keyboard Studio in Tallahassee, Florida where she has been teaching piano for 20 years. She is a member of the American College of Musicians, the National Guild of Piano Teachers, a graduate of the Florida State University College of Education, and President of TallyPiano Enterprises, LLC. You can visit her website and download her original compositions free at http://www.tallypiano.com
Cynthia is also an author of a series of exciting books for children, with the mission of Using Music, Art, Science and Literature to Help Children Achieve their Dreams. Her illustrated series for piano students is called, Little Bear's Piano Adventures!TM These stories take young piano students on a Musical Adventure to find out what piano lessons are all about in a fun way that children can easily understand.
For more information about these wonderful books E-mail Cynthia at firstname.lastname@example.org, where you can also subscribe to her free internet newsletter, Piano Matters!
TallyPiano Studio: (850) 386-2425
Composer Anna Clyne: 'Music with melody connects with something very deeply rooted in us' - Financial Times
Composer Anna Clyne: 'Music with melody connects with something very deeply rooted in us' Financial Times
Longtime AP country music chronicler Joe Edwards dies at 75 The Seattle Times
Why is R&B music more explicit than ever? It's complicated. The Associated Press - en Español
Shania Twain took country music to the world The Economist
The Magic of Mushroom Records: How a British-Australian Indie Label Cultivated a Generation of Music Industry Leaders - Variety
The Magic of Mushroom Records: How a British-Australian Indie Label Cultivated a Generation of Music Industry Leaders Variety
Wind Ensemble premieres new music with Linqua Franqa, New York Philharmonic University of Georgia
The Biggest Super Bowl Halftime Show Music Sales Boosts—Including Shakira, Coldplay, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga And More - Forbes
The Biggest Super Bowl Halftime Show Music Sales Boosts—Including Shakira, Coldplay, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga And More Forbes
Warm up winter with free noontime music WHBF - OurQuadCities.com
FSU College of Music presents spring chamber music series Florida State News
New Music February 2023: Local Boston Concerts, New Album ... Boston University
Governor Abbott Announces Music Friendly Texas Workshop In ... Office of the Texas Governor
Dr. Dre, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Missy Elliott Light up Grammy Black Music Collective Event - Variety
Facing Death, a Pianist Recorded Music of Unspeakable Emotions The New York Times
Young Texas Artists Holds Classical Music Competition, Gala hellowoodlands.com
Ranked: The Top Online Music Services in the U.S. by Monthly Users Visual Capitalist
Sexual Assault Survivors Speak Out on Grammy Weekend: ‘The Music Industry is the Catholic Church on Steroids’ - Variety
Sexual Assault Survivors Speak Out on Grammy Weekend: ‘The Music Industry is the Catholic Church on Steroids’ Variety
Music Man | News, Sports, Jobs Wheeling Intelligencer
Census highlights changes in Austin’s music scene, as high costs push musicians to suburbs - KXAN.com
How Music Evokes Awe (The Science of Happiness podcast) - Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley
How Music Evokes Awe (The Science of Happiness podcast) Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley
First Country: New Music From Dierks Bentley, Ashley McBryde, Shania Twain, Corey Kent & More - Billboard
First Country: New Music From Dierks Bentley, Ashley McBryde, Shania Twain, Corey Kent & More Billboard
716 Music Awards set to take off second year to highlight local artists in Buffalo - WKBW 7 News Buffalo
716 Music Awards set to take off second year to highlight local artists in Buffalo WKBW 7 News Buffalo
The permanent A-list has a never-ending grasp on pop music The Washington Post
New Orleans Jazz Fest releases daily music lineup WDSU New Orleans
How BMG Secretly Signed a Rapper Dropped for Antisemitic Lyrics The New York Times
Recording Academy CEO on Grammy Awards: 'We're here to honor excellence in music, but we're also here with a purpose.' - Yahoo Finance
Recording Academy CEO on Grammy Awards: 'We're here to honor excellence in music, but we're also here with a purpose.' Yahoo Finance
Bernunzio Uptown Music back open to walk-in traffic RochesterFirst
Musical taste may be influenced by personality traits, resarchers say The Washington Post
A Proclamation on Black Music Appreciation Month, 2022 The White House
The music lives on Apple
Sade Are Recording New Music Pitchfork
The 50 Best Albums of 2022 Pitchfork
200 Best Singers of All Time Rolling Stone
Justin Bieber Nears Roughly $200 Million Deal to Sell Music Rights ... The Wall Street Journal
Is Old Music Killing New Music? The Atlantic
Bard Music Festival - Fisher Center at Bard Bard College
The Walk In | Amazon Music youtube.com
Can Listening to Music Reduce Stress? Research, Benefits, and ... PsychCentral.com
School of Music, Theatre, and Dance Ithaca College
World Music Festival Chicago chicago.gov
Music | The University of North Carolina at Pembroke The Pine Needle
Boyer College of Music and Dance Temple University
The Music Channel youtube.com
Form - Giving Shape to Your Music
Do you ramble on endlessly with your improvisations? If so, good. This has its place in music making and in new age piano playing in particularly.
"Live music." That common saying may contain some truth, but these days the word "live" is having less and less to do with music.
Hip Hop Clothing
Celebrities now such as Outkast, a fashion wear can be a must have. Likewise gainful for celebrities included within the clothing lines world, which is how come we are in possession of these most up to date hip hop clothing lines on the market like, FuBu.
Choosing a Jazz Band for Your Party
In many years of arranging jazz bands for all sorts of events I am struck by the similarity of how the request is made by most of our clients.It goes something like this: "We are looking for a jazz band to play at our wedding / book launch / family fun day / sixtieth birthday/ store opening etc.
Where To Download Music On The Internet
Virtually all of you have probably heard of the RIAA's quest to crush online music piracy. The illegal sharing of copyrighted songs via the MP3 format on top the Internet costs the music industry billions of dollars.
Learn Piano the Easy Way!
There are essentially two ways to learn piano - note reading or chords. For those who want to spend years learning how to play other peoples music, note reading is the way to go.
Effective Band Rehearsal
If your band is in rehearsals, either preparing for gigging, or practising new songs to add to your repertoire, the chances are you will have to hire a rehearsal room. The costs of hiring a room can soon mount up if you don't organise your time effectively.
History of the Clarinet From the 19th Century
While composers had already begun to write music for the clarinet, such as Mozart with the Clarinet Concerto and Clarinet Quintet, it was the 19th century that saw an explosion of use of the clarinet in the music of most composers of the day. This was mainly due to two factors.
The British Invasion
The Kasabian concert at the Kool Haus seemed like a concert somewhere in England (even though I haven't been there). This band out of Leicester pumped out amazing electronic, rock beats with an amazing light show.
Is the Record Album Dead? Not by a Long Shot
In 1982, Sony and Philips introduced the compact disc, a digital music playback format that used a laser to read the disc. The compact disc was expected to quickly replace the long play record album (LP) that Columbia had introduced in 1949.
"Who Else Wants to Get Screwed When Signing a Recording or Songwriting Deal?!?!"
You've got your recording (or songwriting) contract in hand and everything's coming up roses, right? You get your check, finally, but it's not quite what you expected. If you sign not knowing what's owed you then you might be shorted some well-deserved income.
Visualization Techniques for the Pianist
Controlling the images of the mind through image projection has proven valuable not only for psychotherapy, but also as a learning aid. Visualization can have as much impact on the subconscious, memory, and entire body as a "real" experience.
Spectral Muses Revisited: The Channeled Melodies of Rosemary Brown
Rosemary Brown (1916-2001) was a middle-aged South London widow, making ends meet as a grade school kitchen assistant, who rocketed to international fame in 1968 through a BBC broadcast recounting her purported collaborations with long-dead composers. These included Liszt, J.
The Music Industry and Its Lack of Talent
So it has come to this..
If Setting The Gain Correctly is So Important, Why Dont Mic Preamplifiers Have Meters?
When you first learn how to use a mixing console, you will be shown how to set the gain. Your instructor - either in audio school or in the workplace - will emphasize the importance of this and kick your ass every time you get it wrong, until you can't do anything other than get it right.
Quick and Easy Violin Mute
One of the reasons I picked up the violin was because it was easier to travel with than a guitar (not that I haven't found some nice travel guitars, but that's another story). It fits in an airplane overhead and is easy to carry!However, I want to be considerate of the folks in the rooms around me when I'm playing in my hotel room.
14 Ways Musicians Can Increase Their Tips
I was listening to NPR the other day when they did a report on tipping in the restaurant industry. One they had a list of tips on how wait staff can increase their tips.
Songs Await Singer
I Want To Grow Old With You (C)Chorus: I want to grow old with you..
Music and Emotion
The Age-old Puzzle of Human ResponseIf you've listened to more than a little music, you've most likely received an emotional reaction from some of it. You've probably noticed that whenever that happens, the effect is initially unexpected and varies in its intensity.
How to Remove DRM from WMA - Is It Legal and Worth the Effort?
Technically, it's illegal to remove DRM from WMA protected music. Digital Rights Management (DRM) is part of the music industry's effort to curb piracy.
|home | site map|