Five Great Practice Ideas I Learned From My Piano Students!
Sometimes the teacher learns more from the student than the student does from the teacher. Hopefully, not too often, but today I would like to share with you some great practicing ideas that have come from my piano students over the years:
1. A Colonel in Virginia that I taught for several years got up at 4AM every weekday morning and practiced on an electronic keyboard with headphones so he wouldn't disturb anyone at that time of the morning. "I love the early morning", he said, "because it's so quiet and peaceful and I'm fresh and raring to go. No phones are ringing, no people walking into the room, no disturbances at all. I practice for a half-hour, have breakfast, and then hit it for another half-hour -- all before I have to show up for work. When I get home in the evening, if I'm too tired to practice, I don't feel guilty because I've already got my licks in for the day. And if I'm up to practicing some more -- well, it's a bonus!"
2. An elementary school teacher in Indiana told me she took each piece I assigned her and transposed it into all 12 keys -- not written out, but at the piano -- in her head. She said "It doesn't always sound so hot, but I find that if I keep at it day after day, I can at least get by in the most difficult keys, and it makes the easier keys seem real simple. And it gives me a perspective that I just wouldn't get it I just played it in one key -- the key it is written in. I've learned that each key has it's own "feel", and some keys are bright (like "D") and some keys are mellow (like "Db").
3. Another piano student with a similar idea, who was the Minister of Music in a Catholic church, said he took one whole month of the year and devoted it to mastering just one key. Since there are 12 months in the year and 12 Major keys, that works out perfectly. So in January he played everything he could find in the key of C, and transposed anything that wasn't in C into C. In February he went up 1/2 step to the key of C# (also known as Db enharmonically) and played everything in Db and searched for pieces written in the key of Db, and so on. By the time the year was up, he had a pretty fair grasp on the 12 Major keys. I suggested that he devote the next year to the 12 minor keys, and the next year to the modes, and the next year to polytonality, etc., etc. -- but as I recall he decided to just recycle through the 12 major keys, since he used them so much more than the ones I suggested.
4. Still another piano student took an idea from me and twisted it a bit. I suggested that she play along with pieces she liked on tapes and CD's, so she would get a feel for the motion of the song. (I used to do that by the hour when I was a teen-ager, and it paid off big time for me!). She took the idea and tried it and liked it so much that she started getting videos of people playing the piano. She arranged her TV and video player so that she could be at her piano while the video was playing, and she would play along with the pianist on the screen, following her/his hand motions and arm motions and finger position and thereby getting a feeling for the flow of the music. (Patterning). Her creativity is paying off for her -- she is advancing rapidly. (And by the way, don't think she is "copying" the person she is watching -- not at all. It's the same principle as watching Michael Jordan moving toward the basket, or watching Sammy Sosa swing a bat -- it just gets you in the right groove before you apply your own style to it.)
5. A doctor I have taught for years makes a idea file of things he has learned about piano playing over the years. He notes where in a given book or tape or video I discuss such and such a topic, and files that alphabetically. Then later when he needs to refer to that idea, he simply looks up the idea in his file, locates the video or cassette or book, and presto -- he can review that idea or concept almost instantly. It's like a card catalog in the library -- makes finding things so much faster than flipping through endless books trying to find that idea you saw long ago.With the advent of the computer a person could store and categorize ideas such as this very quickly.
Hope this gives you some ideas of your own!
Duane Shinn is the author of over 500 music books and music educational materials such as DVD's, CD's, musical games for kids, chord charts, musical software, and piano lesson instructional courses for adults. His instant piano chord finder software titled "How To Find Any Piano Chord Instantly!" has been used around the world. He holds advanced degrees from Southern Oregon University and was the founder of Piano University in Southern Oregon. He is the author of the popular free 101-week online e-mail newsletter titled "Amazing Secrets Of Exciting Piano Chords & Sizzling Chord Progressions" with over 58,600 current subscribers.
Far From Folsom Prison: More to Music Inside JSTOR Daily
Three Auburn students recognized with National Association for Music Education awards - Office of Communications and Marketing
Three Auburn students recognized with National Association for Music Education awards Office of Communications and Marketing
The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History Rolling Stone
Kennedy Center honoree Amy Grant did more than conquer Christian music The Washington Post
TidalWave Music Festival coming back to the beach this summer The Delaware County Daily Times
'Just play music' • Chico News & Review Chico News & Review
The music industry isn't ready for the AI revolution. Music Business Worldwide
Music Center providing arts program to students Spectrum News 1
Music Festival Scheduled for June 3, 2023 Scarsdale10583.com
Adeem the Artist, Crafting a Country Music of Their Own The New York Times
Music on Main Hometown Holiday 2022 City of Round Rock
Dave Matthews, Paramore to lead Super Bowl Music Fest 2023 in Phoenix The Arizona Republic
Zona Music Festival 2022 guide: Tickets, lineup and parking The Arizona Republic
Apple Music Replay gets a much-needed redesign for 2022 Yahoo! Voices
Music Critic Turned St. John's Faculty Member Enshrined in Long Island Music Hall of Fame - St John's University News
Music Critic Turned St. John's Faculty Member Enshrined in Long Island Music Hall of Fame St John's University News
Instagram Music Not Working? 6 Ways to Fix MUO - MakeUseOf
Martha's Vineyard News | Bringing the Community Together Through Music - The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News
Martha's Vineyard News | Bringing the Community Together Through Music The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News
Peppie Calvar Discusses Holidays at Hendricks, Spreading the Light of Music Around the World on the ‘’Cuse Conversations’ Podcast - Syracuse University News
Peppie Calvar Discusses Holidays at Hendricks, Spreading the Light of Music Around the World on the ‘’Cuse Conversations’ Podcast Syracuse University News
Warner sues make up brand Iconic over unlicensed music in social media videos - Complete Music Update
Warner sues make up brand Iconic over unlicensed music in social media videos Complete Music Update
50 Egg Music Adds Gray Robinson To Writer Roster musicrow.com
Music, Magic and Enchanting Family Entertainment Highlight Armed Forces Entertainment's Home for the Holidays Tour for U.S. Military Members Serving Across the Globe - Yahoo Finance
Music, Magic and Enchanting Family Entertainment Highlight Armed Forces Entertainment's Home for the Holidays Tour for U.S. Military Members Serving Across the Globe Yahoo Finance
BMG acquires music interests of Eurodance star Haddaway Music Business Worldwide
Nicole Kidman Receives Standing Ovation at Broadway’s ‘The Music Man’ After Bidding $100,000 for Hugh Jackman’s Signed Hat - Variety
Nicole Kidman Receives Standing Ovation at Broadway’s ‘The Music Man’ After Bidding $100,000 for Hugh Jackman’s Signed Hat Variety
Neil Young Sets a 'World Record' With New Music Album The Montclarion
Chilmark: Pathways dancing, “Offerings of Music and Light," and Island Hip Hop performance - Martha's Vineyard Times
Chilmark: Pathways dancing, “Offerings of Music and Light," and Island Hip Hop performance Martha's Vineyard Times
Music Management Degree Strikes a Chord for Folk-Rock Singer Georgia State University News
Dolly Parton Talks Opening a Museum and 'Dolly Center' in Music City American Songwriter
Stars' Torquil Campell and Pat McGee share their favorite music of 2022; holiday tour begins soon - Brooklyn Vegan
Stars' Torquil Campell and Pat McGee share their favorite music of 2022; holiday tour begins soon Brooklyn Vegan
Insider Debates results: Right time to start playing Christmas music WDIV ClickOnDetroit
Watch: GENTRI music video of 'Silent Night' shares powerful message of hope and healing - LDS Living
Back Road Music Fest announces lineup WHBF - OurQuadCities.com
Japan’s Avex Group strikes licensing deal with NetEase Cloud Music Music Business Worldwide
Mesfin Fekadu Named Senior Editor of The Hollywood Reporter’s Music Coverage Hollywood Reporter
Mids Head to Music City for Renewal of Series with Lipscomb - Naval Academy Athletics - NavySports.com
Mids Head to Music City for Renewal of Series with Lipscomb - Naval Academy Athletics NavySports.com
Cyber Monday lives on! This Bose Wave Music System with 'astounding sound' is still $180 off - Yahoo Life
Cyber Monday lives on! This Bose Wave Music System with 'astounding sound' is still $180 off Yahoo Life
‘What If I Don’t Like Music Anymore?’: A Wildly Honest Conversation Between BTS’ RM and Pharrell Williams - Rolling Stone
‘What If I Don’t Like Music Anymore?’: A Wildly Honest Conversation Between BTS’ RM and Pharrell Williams Rolling Stone
Musical taste may be influenced by personality traits, resarchers say The Washington Post
YouTube announces Creator Music, a new way for creators to shop for songs for use in videos - TechCrunch
YouTube announces Creator Music, a new way for creators to shop for songs for use in videos TechCrunch
The music lives on Apple
Has streaming made it harder to discover new music? The Guardian
‘There’s endless choice, but you’re not listening’: fans quitting Spotify to save their love of music - The Guardian
‘There’s endless choice, but you’re not listening’: fans quitting Spotify to save their love of music The Guardian
Is Old Music Killing New Music? The Atlantic
Pop Music's Nostalgia Obsession The Atlantic
TikTok Parent ByteDance Sets Sights on Spotify With Music-Streaming Expansion - The Wall Street Journal
TikTok Parent ByteDance Sets Sights on Spotify With Music-Streaming Expansion The Wall Street Journal
Apple Music Apple
Is Elon Musk going to save the music industry? Music Business Worldwide
The Best Music of 2021 The New Yorker
500 Best Songs of All Time Rolling Stone
All About Eminem
Marshall Mathers, was born October 17, 72, and could be by far the most notorious and recognised rap music musicians of this age, having the alias Slimshady. Slim Shady is perhaps best known for being one of the very few influencial white rappers in the hip hop industry, and not only one of the most critically acclaimed.
Living Life Loud
Change is good. Just ask the millions of unsigned artists worldwide trying to get their music heard.
Structure Of A Successful Music Website
Ideally each page of your website should serve a specific purpose.The main purpose of the sales page for your cd is to sell the cd.
The King of the Delta Blues Singers - Robert Johnson Still Stands at the Crossroads
Probably the most enigmatic Singer and Guitarist of the twentieth Century is now one of the most revered and respected of all Musicians who make up the Genre of the 'Blues'. I speak of course about the wonderful Robert Leroy Johnson.
Music as Therapy?
Frustrated in a gridlocked?Job got you stressed out?The children have you going crazy?You pop in your favorite tune and you take a deep breathand as if by magic for a few minutes nothing matters anymore!No it's no magic! It's music and it's power!Truly amazing isn't it?Even plants responds to music as was proven by some researcherat a well known university in the USA.Why? Many reasons, I am sure some scientist would quote somethingabout physiological responses to stimuli within the progressions of notes.
6 Tips for Organizing Your Music Files
If you're a digital music fan, you probably have problems organizing your music file collection. For me, I used to have hundreds of MP3 files lumped in one folder in my hard drive.
New Age Piano Playing and the Sustain Pedal
There are 3 pedals on most pianos. The one on the left dampens the strings and makes the sound come out softer.
Buying A Guitar - Do You Know What To Look For?
Buying a guitar is an important decision that my students have often asked me about. They want to know what they should be looking for.
Getting the Best Performance From Your Artist
So now you've decided to record your songs. Good for you, except that you will need people to play the instruments for which your music calls for.
Guitar Buying - The Pros and Cons of Vintage vs. Reissue
To most people, owning the "genuine article" is the only thing that will suffice. As a guitar player, and one who appreciates classic "vintage" instruments, I can fully understand this point of view.
How Much of Your Potential Will You Release?
Do you ever feel there is an inner voice speaking to you, telling you that you're not very good, or you can't do it, or there's just not enough confidence and repertoire with you? This is the voice that calls itself "I" right? Let's refer to this as Self 1, and Self 2 as the normal you, the real you that has the masses of potential.Self 1 is our interference and concepts such as our judgements, associations, how things should be and uses words such as "should" and "shouldn't".
Tips for Buying Digital Pianos and Keyboards
Buying a digital piano could be a very delicate attempt, especially if you have no idea about pianos in the first place. This article is written to help you out how to choose the best digital piano.
Benatar and Geraldo - Still Rockin on a High Note
Most people look forward to the summer months because they bring warmer temperatures, vacations, outdoor gatherings, and longer days. Those are all fine and dandy, but what really gets my fires stoked for the warm season is when the Queen of Rock (a.
How the Internet Helps Musicians
Everyone talks about the negative impact of the Internet on the music business. Illegal file sharing and copyright violations have decimated the profits in the industry.
Hip Hop History
Rap music originated as a cross-cultural product. Most of its important early practitioners-including Kool Herc, D.
Music Business Contacts: Music Business Registry connects artists, managers, publishers, producers &
"The difference between success and failure is information," notes Ritch Esra, and he should know. Along with his partner, Stephen Trumbull, Esra is a leading part of the number one most-reliable source of information on "who's who" and "who does what" in the music business.
Health Insurance for Creative Artists -- A Multi-Talented Health Investment
For the Creative Artist -- Good Health Insurance is Trulya Lifetime InvestmentFellow artists, buying good health insurance is the best investment you can make in your lifetime! You can purchase fine jewelry, art works, vintage cars -- but none of these can assure you the value, well-being, and peace of mind that a comprehensive health insurance plan will bring you. And you don't have to pay for expensive expert advice before buying, either.
Copyright Basics for Songwriters
Should you copyright your song? If you're a songwriter, sooner or later you will probably have some questions about getting your material copyrighted. Since I've already been down this road before, you might be able to benefit from my experience.
Why You Cant Play Piano
It's really not your fault. You see, you've been taught that in order to play piano you need to first learn how to read music, and second, play other peoples music.
Guitar Players...Learn About The Point Of Discipline
Have you ever started learning a lick or exercise and stopped practicing it before you had mastered it? Now I don't know you, but my guess the answer to the question is yes! Why is that? Why did you stop, when it was something that you REALLY wanted to learn?There are quite a few reasons for it, but the one I would like to mention now is what I call the "point of discipline". This is the point when the initial enthusiasm of learning that new lick/exercise wears off.
|home | site map|