Behavior to Stay Safer Online
1. Importance of a Virus Scanner: A Antivirus program can help to prevent you from becoming infected with a Virus or Trojan. It is extremely important to make sure this program is updated at least once a week, and all drives are scanned. Viruses usually are used to destroy your Data or Hardware. Where as Trojans are used to gain remote access into your system. Always scan any new files you receive as well, even if they are off a friend, you don't know where those files originated from. ALWAYS use a little common sense when on the Internet as well. Don't accept files from an entrusted source. Don't go to web sites you have received spam for, they can be infected with viruses or asking you to download files that are infected. Always go only to official sites (i.e... If you ask for a web address for Norton and someone says ww.nortfix.com, that is obviously not an official site). Keep in mind that an Antivirus will only detect known viruses. It is possible that someone can create a new virus or manipulate an existing Virus or Trojan to the point it will no longer be detected by an Antivirus. As each unknown virus is discovered it is then added into the Antivirus database. Always create rescue disks for your Antivirus program, these will enable you to access your computer through MS-DOS if you are unable to access it through windows. If you do not have an Antivirus program try the HouseCall free online virus scan the link if on the top right side of this page. Also never run 2 different Antivirus . By using two different Antivirus software, sometimes the rule sets can cause conflicts in each other.. or think the other is a virus.. which can also give false positives (meaning it detects a file as a Virus or Trojan, when it isn't one).. or not detect viruses as it should. Always delete files you do not remember downloading.
2. Importance of a Trojan scanner: A Trojan scanner is exclusively designed to guard against Trojan horses. A Trojan is a method of intrusion into a system. It is a malicious, security breaking program that is disguised as something harmless. A Trojan can grant complete access to your system to unknown parties, allowing them to commit criminal offenses with your Internet connection. If those offenses are investigated the trail will lead right to you. It also possible for them to get personal or business data and some passwords memorized within your computer. The Cleaner is a good Trojan scanner located on www.moosoft.com. Never open any file or download a file off an entrusted source, spammed web sites being one of them. It is very common for someone to set up a web site, then spam that web site saying you are infected with some virus or Trojan download this fix, or saying they have some great password cracking program, etc. Then you fall for it and your infected. Never use any war tools that require you to install something that brings up a warning on your Antivirus, why not to do this will be explained more on the IRC Newbie page. Always delete files you do not remember downloading.
3. Importance of running a Firewall: A Firewall is one of your best defenses of being hacked. That is if your using a good Firewall and have it configured right. ZoneAlarm free download is a decent Firewall. Although I would recommend ZoneAlarm Pro, which blocks a lot of commonly used hacking attempts. Another one I would not recommend is BlackIce, if you see that one run like there is no tomorrow (gives a lot of false positives). Ultimately though I would recommend running at least one Firewall, even if your computer is connected behind a gateway/router. When looking into firewalls it is a good idea to check what features it has. While one may block a number of hacking attempts, it may not block ads or cookies. Make sure to get all the details before deciding on a Firewall to purchase.
Also if you on Windows XP you can configure the Firewall they have built into it, go to start menu ... control panel ..... click network connections ..... double click local area connections ..go to properties ... then select the advanced tab. There you will find the XP Firewall and can enable it. You can also click on the link they provide to learn more about it. Never run 2 firewalls unless one is a software and the other a hardware. Security threats such as those dealing on the application level (your Operating System).. software Firewall can analyze that data better. Whereas hardware better analyzes incoming data from the Internet (snifters, etc.). If you have your own server.. good idea to choose a good one of each (hardware and software). If I am not running a Firewall but would like to see what connections my computer has open how do I do that? Simply go to your start menu under programs or programs/accessories you will find the MS-DOS prompt/Command prompt once you have that open type the command "netstat -an" without the quotations. There is will list the protocol of the connection TCP/UDP, the local address and foreign address, as well as the state which will show either as listening or established. Keep in mind that any connection to the Internet will show up there.
4. Importance of Windows Updates: It is extremely important to update windows. If you are not sure how to, just go to your start menu, then to programs you will see Windows Update there. Windows critical updates are related to security issues within Windows itself. These security issues can be exploited by hackers, these issues can also cause you to get infected easier with a virus if you are a Outlook Express user. As vulnerabilities are detected in Windows critical updates are released for them.
5. Safer Passwords: Never have Windows remember your passwords. If you ever do get an intruder on your system passwords saved in Windows can be retrieved. Instead what I recommend is saving all your passwords to notepad then saving them on a floppy disk. A simple copy and paste to use your passwords for any sites you visit, or accounts you may have online. Never use simple passwords such as names of places, things or people. Also do not use passwords that consist of either all letters or all numbers. The best passwords to have should have a combination of letters and numbers(e.g. g74npw2m5), when possible, use symbols (e.g. #^&%!). If the password is case sensitive, then use upper and lower case . Also make sure that the letters and numbers you use are not in clusters on your keyboard (within same general area on keyboard). Make your passwords longer then you may normally make them. Doing this will make any passwords you have harder for an outside party to crack. Apply this to anything you do on the Internet that requires a password. This one I speak from experience on, my last website on a free host, the password was cracked and the content of those pages changed. For many things available on the Internet you require Username and a password, if someone knows your Username or can figure it out, that is half their battle. So make the other half of their battle as difficult as possible. On Irc including characters in your passwords such as €, ć, „, § ,etc... will help even more, to make your passwords harder to crack. Never use any of the following for your passwords (in whole or part): your name or a pet's name, girlfriend, boyfriend. Anything relating to any hobbies you have. Numbers dealing with you, relatives, friends, family, etc. (birthdays ,Social Insurance Number, significant dates, etc.). All of this can and WILL come back to haunt you.
6. What is Spyware?: Software that is installed on your computer/or a virus, which gathers information about you without your consent or knowledge of it. This information can end up in the hands of advertisers, spam e-mail lists, and other interested parties. It can gather information from cookies on your computer. Cookies can store information about websites you have visited, to develop a general idea of your online activity. Cookies generally store information such as preferences from websites, and they are stored on the hard drive of your computer. If your not comfortable with the idea of someone getting any information about your online activities, as most people are. There are programs out there that can be used for either removing cookies from sites you have visited as well as programs that will detect and remove known spyware programs. Lavasoft Ad-aware is a good program for removing spyware programs. Window Washer is an excellent program for removing a lot of your online history (cookies/temp Internet files... etc...). For people who use Kazaa, don't be surprised if that shows up on an Ad-aware scan, It will. Once you remove the spyware detected, Kazaa will fail to work without it. A suggestion for future use, switch to Kazaa Lite.
âStop! Who's there?â SimpliSafe adds a live guard feature to its home security system - The Verge
US has âabsolute legal rightâ to shoot down Chinese spy balloon, say national security experts - Fox News
US has âabsolute legal rightâ to shoot down Chinese spy balloon, say national security experts Fox News
Attacks on Electrical Substations Raise Alarm The New York Times
Tallahassee hospital cancels procedures, diverts EMS after IT security issue Tallahassee Democrat
TMH postpones all non-emergency patient procedures due to IT security issue - WTXL ABC 27 Tallahassee News
TMH postpones all non-emergency patient procedures due to IT security issue WTXL ABC 27 Tallahassee News
The forgotten Black woman who invented the video home security system The Washington Post
President Biden Announces Appointments to the Presidentâs ... The White House
Biden Administration Announces Additional Security Assistance for ... Department of Defense
CBP proposes efforts to strengthen aviation security | U.S Customs and Border Protection
Electronic pollbook security raises concerns going into 2024 New Haven Register
Texas Senate leaders signal intent to spend big on border security The Texas Tribune
Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Poland's National ... Department of State
Downtown bars under new security guidelines following fatal ... The Turlock Journal
US. Department of Homeland Security and Finnish Ministry of the ... Homeland Security
Marshall, Moran point to China spy balloon as proof of national ... Kansas Reflector
Palestinian leaders ârebuff' pressure to resume security coordination The Jerusalem Post
Basketball games add extra security after multiple lockdowns in Wake County during the week - WRAL News
Basketball games add extra security after multiple lockdowns in Wake County during the week WRAL News
Band of Barbers, Judges and Security Guards Uses Soviet-Era Guns ... The Wall Street Journal
Statement of Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas on the Family ... Homeland Security
Turkey says West failed to share details of security threat The Associated Press - en EspaĂ±ol
Memphis Police Chief Trained With Israel Security Forces The Intercept
Williamsport security guard allegedly chokeholds boy PAHomePage.com
Security guard accused of killing man during fight at grocery store will not face charges - Fox Baltimore
Security guard accused of killing man during fight at grocery store will not face charges Fox Baltimore
Exclusive: Supreme Court justices used personal emails for work and 'burn bags' were left open in hallways, sources say - CNN
Exclusive: Supreme Court justices used personal emails for work and 'burn bags' were left open in hallways, sources say CNN
TikTok's Transparency Campaign Echoes Effort by Huawei to Ease ... The Wall Street Journal
Barely Dressed Woman Meanders Through Security At The Miami ... View from the Wing
US will send Stryker combat vehicles to Ukraine for first time as part of $2.5 billion security package - CNN
US will send Stryker combat vehicles to Ukraine for first time as part of $2.5 billion security package CNN
The Security Service of Ukraine exposed officials of the ... Odessa Journal
DHS Announces Process Enhancements for Supporting Labor ... Homeland Security
More Than $3 Billion in Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine Department of Defense
DHS Continues to Prepare for End of Title 42; Announces New ... Homeland Security
Remarks by President Biden on Border Security and Enforcement The White House
Git patches two critical remote code execution security flaws BleepingComputer
Identity Thieves Bypassed Experian Security to View Credit Reports ... Krebs on Security
Remarks by Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield at a UN Security ... - United States Mission to the United Nations
Remarks by Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield at a UN Security ... United States Mission to the United Nations
Microsoft ends Windows 7 extended security updates on Tuesday BleepingComputer
Musk's Twitter still violates FTC security pact, new whistleblower says The Washington Post
House Republicans Preparing Broad Inquiry Into F.B.I. and Security Agencies The New York Times
Securing Your Accounts With Well-Crafted Passwords
In the past I've never really paid much attention to security issues when it comes to user names and passwords. Frankly I figured it was all a lot of overblown hype.
P C. owners are constantly at risk from attacks by hackers.
If You Sell Anything Online Your ePockets Are Being Picked
You and I are a lot alike. We are both software publishers and eBook authors getting hosed on a regular basis.
Wireless Network Security
Working from home has its advantages, including no commute, a more flexible work schedule and fresh coffee and home-cooked meals whenever you want.But working from home while using a wireless local area network (WLAN) may lead to theft of sensitive information and hacker or virus infiltration unless proper measures are taken.
Secrets On Security: A Gentle Introduction To Cryptography
Let us take the example of scrambling an egg. First, crack the shell, pour the contents into a bowl and beat the contents vigorously until you achieved the needed result - well, a scrambled egg.
The Move to a New Anti-Virus Model
This is the second in a series of articles highlighting reasons why we need a new model for anti-virus and security solutions.Reason #1: the Basic ModelAnti-virus software vendors still rely on yesterday's methods for solving today's problems: they wait for the next virus to wreak havoc and then produce a solution.
Over the past few years as the internet has become more and more popular, privacy has become a major issue.Just as if you are walking down the street and can be watched, every click of your mouse every website you browse, or file you download, is traceable.
Why Malicious Programs Spread So Quickly?
It seems that nowadays cybercriminals prefer cash to fun. That is why malicious programs of various kinds (viruses, worms, Trojan horses, etc.
Burning Bridges is Bad, But Firewalls are Good
When you signed up for that ultra-fast DSL or Cable connection there was probably one very important piece of information that your ISP failed to mention. By accessing the Internet via a high-speed connection, you have tremendously increased your chances of being victimized by a computer hacker.
Reclaim Your PC from the Internet Spies
Viruses are, however, not the only malicious software programs out there. The newest addition to the evil software family is the so called Spywares and a good anti-virus program or firewall is not enough to safeguard against these clever programs.
Dont Allow Hackers to Take Out Money from Your Bank Account
If you know what is the 'Fishing' then it's very easyto understand the definition of 'Phishing'. Justreplace letter 'F' from the word Fishing with 'Ph'.
The Bad Guys Are Phishing For Your Personal Information
Do you know what "phishing" is?No, it doesn't mean you grab a pole and head to the late to catchsome phish.The official Webopedia definition of "phishing" is as follows:The act of sending an e-mail to a user falsely claiming to be anestablished legitimate enterprise in an attempt to scam the userinto surrendering private information that will be used foridentity theft.
All About Computer Viruses
Your computer is as slow as molasses. Your mouse freezes every 15 minutes, and that Microsoft Word program just won't seem to open.
Its War I Tell You!
There are ways to insure security though. You can get the Windows Update CD from Microsoft and install that before you get online, You can also get most Antivirus Definitions downloaded and save them to disk, then install those before you go online, (of course you have to be using that Product in the first place), and you can get Anti-Spyware on a disk and do the same.
Top 10 tips for Safe Internet Shopping
Over Ł5 billion pounds was spent on online shopping in 2004. The Internet was the fastest growing retail sector last year, attracting one in four shoppers.
Be Alert! Others Can Catch Your Money Easily!
So called phishers try to catch the information about the account numbers and passwords of internet users. They deceive people with faked emails and websites that resembles exactly the originals of well known banks or electronic payment systems.
Clown Internet Scam - An Internet Scam is Currently Targeting Clowns and Other Entertainers
I am the victim of an internet scam. It is very hard to write that sentence, but it's necessary in order to warn my fellow clowns, magicians and other entertainers, and to prevent them from being taken for $2,800.
Another Fine Mess!
I'm in the Anti-Spyware business, and I'm doing a lot of advertising to promote my website, but here I am online and on the phone, giving my personal information to..
Computer Viruses - How to Remove a Computer Virus from Your Computer
Computer viruses infect millions of computers every day. Viruses can destroy data, steal important information, and even make a computer completely unusable.
Are You Surfing Safe?
Ok, you've got a computer, and you get online. You surf your favorite sites, Sports, Shopping, Cowchip Tossing Blogs, and so on.
|home | site map|