How Can Someone Get Private Information From My Computer?
From the "Ask Booster" column in the June 17, 2005 issue of Booster's Auction News, a free ezine for online auction sellers and enthusiasts.
How can someone get private information from my computer?
Hackers can get your private information from your computer in a number of ways. Here are the top ways they do it:
* Computer viruses, spyware and adware from e-mails you've received and/or websites you've visited.
* Hacker programs that find unprotected IP addresses are subject to attack. An IP address is a series of several numbers (ex. 126.96.36.199) that identifies your location on the internet. It's like your "internet" telephone number.
* Entering your financial information (i.e., credit card info) into a website that does not offer secure order processing. Your internet browser should show you that you've entered a secure site.
* Having your financial information "intercepted" by a hacker while shopping online at a legitimate website. This is called "pharming" and is becoming a more worrisome threat.
* You downloaded software from that contained a malicious program.
* You fall victim to a "phishing" or "spoof" scam, whereby you GIVE your personal information away.
* Phishing and spoof e-mails appear as if they are coming from a legitimate website. The e-mail generally alarms the recipient with a message such as "your account has been suspended" or telling you that you need to "verify your account." Most eBay and PayPal users have received at least one (if not several more) spoof e-mails appearing to come from either eBay or PayPal.
eBay has information showing you how to spot spoof. I highly recommend your take a few moments and visit http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/index.html for this brief tutorial.
* Another growing threat is called "malware" which is a spyware. Malware is a malicious software which logs your keystrokes and forwards the information to a hacker. This type of software can come through viruses and is often included in downloaded applications.
Knowing how to protect yourself can greatly reduce your risk of identity theft. Following are some suggestions to help you protect yourself. The programs listed below are just a few of the many options available.
* Use an anti-virus software such as Norton AntiVirus (www.norton.com) or McAfee AntiVirus (www.mcafee.com) and regularly UPDATE it. Updating is absolutely CRITICAL if you want the software to protect you. For thorough spyware and adware scanning, popular software choices are Spy Sweeper (http://www.webroot.com) and SpyCop (http://www.spycop.com).
* Using a firewall software such as Zone Alarm (www.zonelabs.com), Norton Personal Firewall (www.norton.com) or McAfee Firewall (www.mcafee.com).
This is a good option for dial-up modem users. Why? Dial-up modems are slower, so a firewall software will often see the attack coming and prevent it. Most hackers don't like the slowness of a dial-up because they can't easily get in and out of your computer without being detected. It is also critical that your firewall software be REGULARLY UPDATED!
* Those accessing the internet with broadband (i.e., DSL, cable modem, etc.) need the added protection of a firewall hardware such as a Linksys Router (www.linksys.com), NetGear Router (www.netgear.com) or DLink Router (www.dlink.com). The reason why is because the speed is higher on broadband which allows the hacker quicker access into your computer without being detected. The router is what will be "on the internet" versus your computer. Since the router is not a computer, there is nothing for the hackers to attack (i.e., no hard drive, no processor, etc.). The router simply acts as a "bodyguard" that only allows those with permission to come in.
* In the event that you unintentionally "bring in" a hacker (as explained above) or you had the misfortune of being the victim of a very clever hacker, it's still smart to have a firewall software (in addition to firewall hardware) to make it difficult for the hacker to "exit" with your data.
If you want to check the vulnerability of your machine for free, visit the well-respected GRC's Shields Up website at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2. This website will attempt to break into your computer in order to expose vulnerabilities. Click on the individual options (i.e., file sharing, common ports, etc.) for a vulnerability analysis.
Keeping up-to-date with internet scams is also helpful in keeping your private information safe. Here are just a few reference websites you may want to bookmark for future reference:
* Scam Busters: http://www.scambusters.org
* Anti-Spam Help & Advice Website: http://www.spamhelp.co.uk
* AuctionBytes Online Fraud Discussion Forum: http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=28
* Internet Fraud Complaint Center: http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
* Anti-Phishing Working Group: http://www.antiphishing.org
* Microsoft - Help Safeguard Your Personal Information Online: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/spoof.mspx.
Lastly, check out the Better Business Bureau & Javelin Strategy's ID Quiz to see how safe you are from identity theft: http://www.javelinstrategy.com/IDSAFETYQUIZ.htm.
Great question, Evan. Thanks!
Wet kisses & tail wags,
BoostYourBids.com is a free information website for online auction sellers and enthusiasts. BoostYourBids.com publishes a free opt-in ezine called "Booster's Auction News" every Friday. Subscribers of this newsletter are automatically entered each month in Booster's Monthly Prize Drawing featuring valuable prizes geared towards online auction sellers.
Booster's Auction News is written by Angela Saul, webmaster of BoostYourBids.com. Angela has been selling on eBay and other online auction sites for more than five years.
http://www.BoostYourBids.com - The FUN Internet Destination for Online Auction Sellers & Enthusiasts!
The forgotten Black woman who invented the video home security system The Washington Post
Bellingcat Chief Forced to Leave Vienna Following Security Threats The Moscow Times
The WordPress Security Guide To Keep Your Site Safe Search Engine Journal
Gem Security emerges from stealth with $11M, unveils industry-first Cloud TDIR platform for faster response to cloud threats - Yahoo Finance
Gem Security emerges from stealth with $11M, unveils industry-first Cloud TDIR platform for faster response to cloud threats Yahoo Finance
Dayton police want access to live video from private security cameras Dayton Daily News
US. Department of Homeland Security and Finnish Ministry of the ... Homeland Security
US enterprises hit hard by short-staffed security operations centers Security Magazine
Israeli startup Gem Security nabs $11m in seed round led by Team8 The Times of Israel
Enforcement of Fisheries Rules Will Enhance Maritime Governance ... The Pew Charitable Trusts
Early Edition: February 1, 2023 Just Security
What Does Security Lockout Mean on iPhone? The Mac Observer
Russia is preparing for 'maximum escalation,' top Ukrainian security ... Washington Examiner
Woodall: Food security is national security brownfieldagnews.com
Security dangers of key fobs KSDK.com
Vanta Names Security Leader David Eckstein as CFO Business Wire
ABC15 takes a closer look at Phoenix Zoo's security ABC15 Arizona in Phoenix
2 rural Wisconsin utilities receive federal loans for modernization ... Wisconsin Public Radio
CNCF to Add Another Security Certification Container Journal
Opinion | A Nationwide Ban on TikTok Won’t Make Us More Secure The New York Times
Readout of Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs ... Joint Chiefs of Staff
Public entry to courthouse in Anderson has security The Herald Bulletin
In Hindsight: The Security Council, One Year after Russia's Invasion ... Security Council Report
Heights High increases security, limits tickets to basketball games following brawl - Cleveland Jewish News
Heights High increases security, limits tickets to basketball games following brawl Cleveland Jewish News
ImagineIF hires security guard in response to escalating incidents Daily Inter Lake
Rising Adoption of Security Holograms in Various End-use Industries: Security Holograms Market Anticipated to be Worth US$ 5.2 Billion in 2023 and Forecasted to Reach US$ 8.6 Billion by 2033| Future Market Insights, Inc. - Yahoo Finance
Rising Adoption of Security Holograms in Various End-use Industries: Security Holograms Market Anticipated to be Worth US$ 5.2 Billion in 2023 and Forecasted to Reach US$ 8.6 Billion by 2033| Future Market Insights, Inc. Yahoo Finance
The Beginning of Airport Security - WSJ The Wall Street Journal
Make Change Your Password Day an impetus to boost overall ... Security Magazine
Fortra's Terranova Security 2022 Gone Phishing Tournament™ Results Reveal Large Organizations at Highest Risk of Compromising Data - Yahoo Finance
Fortra's Terranova Security 2022 Gone Phishing Tournament™ Results Reveal Large Organizations at Highest Risk of Compromising Data Yahoo Finance
Kansas ballot drop boxes need to be more secure, lawmaker says ... Kansas Reflector
A first-hand look inside Walmart's robust security operations Cybersecurity Dive
CISA provides guidelines to safeguard K-12 groups from cyber threats Security Magazine
Westfield Public Schools to pay veterans to patrol schools, increase security - Western Massachusetts News
Westfield Public Schools to pay veterans to patrol schools, increase security Western Massachusetts News
TUSD 'taking essential steps' after data security incident Arizona Daily Star
Death toll from blast in Pakistan mosque rises to at least 100 as country faces 'national security crisis' - CNN
Death toll from blast in Pakistan mosque rises to at least 100 as country faces 'national security crisis' CNN
A new way to measure the government’s supply chain security ... Federal News Network
USENIX Security ’22 – ‘Backporting Security Patches Of Web Applications: A Prototype Design A... - Security Boulevard
USENIX Security ’22 – ‘Backporting Security Patches Of Web Applications: A Prototype Design A... Security Boulevard
Local School Security - FOX8 Fox8tv
Biden Administration Announces Additional Security Assistance for ... Department of Defense
DHS Continues to Prepare for End of Title 42; Announces New ... Homeland Security
Remarks by Ambassador Richard Mills at a UN Security Council ... - United States Mission to the United Nations
Remarks by Ambassador Richard Mills at a UN Security Council ... United States Mission to the United Nations
More Than $3 Billion in Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine Department of Defense
Social Engineering: You Have Been A Victim
Monday morning, 6am; the electric rooster is telling you it's time to start a new work week. A shower, some coffee, and you're in the car and off.
The Attack of the Advertiser - Spy Mother Spy
The menacing campaigns that drive the corporate spyware and adware market is developing way out of hand. Who are these companies and how do they get away with it? They are costing computer users millions with their sneakware system of promotional crap!We have some serious problems.
SCAMS - Be Aware - And Report When Necessary
The Internet is a vast International Network of people and businesses - and a place where people can make a fairly decent living. However, it is also a place where certain unsavory characters can freely roam - to take your dollars and run.
How Spyware Blaster Can Protect Your Computer From Harm
By browsing a web page, you could infect your computer withspy ware, ad ware, dialers and hijackers. These, unwelcomeguests, are some of the fastest growing threats on theInternet today.
Mail Forwarding - Why Would You Do It?
First of all we need to get some terms stated. I have been in the business for just over two years and there is still some confusion over the topic.
Five Excellent Indie Encryption And Security Solutions You Have Not Heard About
1. Geek Superherohttp://www.
8 Surefire Ways to Spot an EBAY Scam E-Mail and Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
Ebay is a great site and is used by many to buy and sell new and used Items. It truly is the worlds Largest Garage Sale Unfortunately when an online site becomes as big and popular as E-Bay the scam artists seem to just naturally follow.
Is That Free Stuff Like An iPod Or Desktop Computer Really Free?
Have you seen the web site, www.freestuff.
Instant Messaging - Expressway for Identity Theft, Trojan Horses, Viruses, and Worms
Never before with Instant Messaging (IM) has a more vital warning been needed for current and potential IM buddies who chat on line.John Sakoda of IMlogic CTO and Vice President of Products stated that,"IM viruses and worms are growing exponentially.
Money Mule Email Scam Hits U.S.
Imagine this - you open up your email box and an international company is offering you a dream job - you can be an agent for them - a financial intermediary - receiving payments for them and transferring money to them, and, naturally, keeping a commission on each transaction.There's no investment, no money required.
How To Clean the Spies In Your Computer?
Manual Spy Bot Removal > BookedSpaceBookedSpace is an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object used to show advertising.Free PC Health Check - find bad files fast! How many corrupt and redundant files are lurking inside your PC ready to cause harmful errors? Find these harmful "time-bomb" files instantly and keep your computer ERROR FREE 24 hours a day!VariantsBookedSpace/Remanent : early variant (around July 2003) with filename rem00001.
Behavior to Stay Safer Online
1. Importance of a Virus Scanner: A Antivirus program can help to prevent you from becoming infected with a Virus or Trojan.
Recently I have received email from my bank/credit Card Company, eBay & pay pal saying that my account has possibly been compromised and I need to confirm my details and password in order to get continued access.Spam email now has a new and more frightening variant, it's called phishing and it has been made by criminals and hackers who aim at getting unwitting consumers to reveal account numbers and passwords.
The 5 Critical Steps to Protecting Your Computer on the Internet
Spyware, viruses and worms..
DOS Attacks: Instigation and Mitigation
During the release of a new software product specialized to track spam, ACME SoftwareInc notice that there was not as much traffic as they hoped to receive. During furtherinvestigation, they found that they could not view their own website.
Free Spyware Removal - Its Not As Easy As It Sounds
Nobody wants to pay to remove spyware. At the very least, I don't.
Ransom Trojan Uses Cryptography for Malicious Purpose
Every day millions of people go online to find information, to do business, to have a good time. Alas, some people go there to commit crimes as well.
Password Security and Safety
There is nothing more important that password security in world of technology. It is the first step to creating a safe and secure environment.
The Saga of the Annoying Adware
When we think of adware, what comes to mind are those annoying and pesky ads that pop up out of nowhere whenever we are surfing the net. Anybody who has surfed through the net has encountered those irritating pop-up adwares advertising everything from computer software down to Viagra.
Before you enter your name, address or any other data in that form, STOP! Wait. Don't enter anything yet.
|home | site map|