The Top Twelve Threats No Computer User Should Ignore
The internet is undoubtedly a fantastic resource for families and offers a rich vein of educational content.
However, there are potential dangers - welcome to the seedy world of viruses, spam, trojans, pornography, spyware and other nasties.
These are the Top Twelve Threats No Computer User Should Ignore.
1. Viruses - A computer program that copies itself. They often disrupt your computer system or damage your data. Viruses are usually received by email attachments so be careful opening anything from a dubious source. They can affect anyone, for example, the destructive Mydoom worm affected one out of three small and mid-sized businesses.
2. Spyware - Sends information about you and your computer to somebody else. Spyware may send the addresses of sites you have visited or worse still, transmit personal information. With today's concerns about identify theft this is a real worry. For example, CoolWebSearch may hijack web searches, home page, and other Internet Explorer settings. Spyware is normally received as part of shareware or freeware downloaded from the web.
3. IP Spoofing - A technique to gain unauthorized access to computers, whereby the intruder sends messages to a computer with an address indicating that the message is coming from a trusted host.
4. Trojans - An apparently legitimate computer program that is really intended to disrupt and damage computer activity by sending information, perhaps even passwords onto a third party without you knowing. As an example, recent emails entitled "Osama Bin Laden Captured" attempted to download the "Trj/Small.B." Trojan if the embedded URL was clicked. This trojan attempts to hijack the PC.
5. Spam - Unsolicited mail often promoting products of a dubious financial or sexual nature. Don't leave your email address on websites and internet bulletin boards as they are harvested by spammers.
6. Adware - puts advertisements on your screen. These take many forms including popups, popunders and advertisements that appear later, even if your browser is closed. Some are sent using the Windows Messenger service which allows a spammer to direct an advertisement straight to your computer by sequentially sending messages to IP addresses. Always irritating, they are also often of a pornographic nature.
7. Diallers - for those of us still with dial up modems, dialler programs redirect calls to a very expensive number. You won't know until you get the bill.
8. Hijackers - Hijackers take control of your web browser and may reset your home page, search bar and search pages. They can redirect you to undesirable sites or stop you going to particular sites.
9. Hackers - With so much personal data available online to anyone with a password you must be sure your password is secure. If you are using your mother's maiden name, your cat's name or your birthday then your password is at risk. Here are two tips for making a secure password. Method One - pick two random unrelated three letter words and two digits. Mix them up and what do you have? A secure password such as "red19cat" or "hotpin73". Method Two - pick a short sequence of words such as Now Is The Winter Of Our Discontent Made Glorious' and you have a password of "nitwoodmg". You could even change the I's and O's to digits.
10. Phishing - Emails purporting to come from reliable sources such as Paypal, Ebay or your bank. Often wanting you to verify your account details, they can look very realistic but are generally scams to harvest usernames and passwords. Always open a new browser winder and type the address there, rather than clicking on the link provided.
11. Hoaxes - Chain letters, scams, false alarms. At best they take up time and bandwidth but at worst vulnerable can be victims of fraud. Pass it on!
12. Stranger-danger - For those of us with children - do you know what they actually do when they are online? Are they working on homework tasks, downloading illegal music or pornography? Or are they chatting to strangers in chat rooms? You should consider blocking access to undesirable sites and logging their activity with a surveillance tool. Oh, and don't forget that where children are concerned, computers should always be kept in a family room and never in their bedroom.
Three Step Action Plan
There are three basic, essential steps that should be taken to ensure your PC is kept threat-free.
Firstly , be sensible when opening attachments or following email instructions from apparently reputable sites.
Secondly , make sure you are using the latest service pack of Windows as Microsoft is continually closing loopholes to tighten up security.
Finally, there's a range of low cost tools such as firewalls, antivirus, spam blockers and spyware killers available. Like everything else they vary in quality and you tend to get what you pay for so always do your research first and perhaps try a free trial before getting your credit card out.
The author, Kai Chandler, edits http://www.surfcontrols.com which specializes in providing reviews and recommendations of top-rated tools to help protect your online experience.
Security cabinet decides to ‘strengthen settlements’ after Jerusalem terror attack - The Times of Israel
Security cabinet decides to ‘strengthen settlements’ after Jerusalem terror attack The Times of Israel
Paul Pelosi attack: Security camera video shows break-in by David DePape CBS San Francisco
RTD installs new security cameras at Table Mesa Park-N-Ride garage in Boulder - Denver 7 Colorado News
RTD installs new security cameras at Table Mesa Park-N-Ride garage in Boulder Denver 7 Colorado News
Security cabinet decides to 'strengthen settlements,' seal off terrorist's home - The Times of Israel
Security cabinet decides to 'strengthen settlements,' seal off terrorist's home The Times of Israel
Israel at Fault for Escalation in Security Situation, Palestinian President Abbas Says - Israel News - Haaretz
Israel at Fault for Escalation in Security Situation, Palestinian President Abbas Says - Israel News Haaretz
Security Camera Footage Shows Houston-Area Tornado Debris Flying - Videos from The Weather Channel - The Weather Channel
Security Camera Footage Shows Houston-Area Tornado Debris Flying - Videos from The Weather Channel The Weather Channel
Data Privacy Day: The Importance of Managing Your Data Security Posture | Eureka Security - Security Boulevard
Data Privacy Day: The Importance of Managing Your Data Security Posture | Eureka Security Security Boulevard
U.S. Seeks Security Council Allies Against Russia The Wall Street Journal
Food Security: Strengthening Africa's food systems Brookings Institution
Playa Del Carmen Adding More Security Cameras To Keep ... The Cancun Sun
Biden Administration Announces Additional Security Assistance for ... Department of Defense
U.S. and Canada Co-Host Proliferation Security Initiative Workshop ... Department of State
Halifax Health adds planned security after shooting at AdventHealth ... WUSF Public Media
Unlawful Southwest Border Crossings Plummet Under New Border ... Homeland Security
Russia's major offensive planned by one-year anniversary of invasion, top security official warns - Fox News
Russia's major offensive planned by one-year anniversary of invasion, top security official warns Fox News
USENIX Security ’22 – Lei Xue, Yangyang Liu, Tianqi Li, Kaifa Zhao, Jianfeng Li, Le Yu, Xiapu L... - Security Boulevard
USENIX Security ’22 – Lei Xue, Yangyang Liu, Tianqi Li, Kaifa Zhao, Jianfeng Li, Le Yu, Xiapu L... Security Boulevard
Joint Statement of the Security Consultative Committee (“2+2 ... Department of State
Scam Alert | NEWS | DIVISION OF PUBLIC SAFETY & SECURITY University of Michigan
Maryville University designated as a National Center of Academic ... Maryville University News
Digest of Recent Articles on Just Security (Jan. 21-27) Just Security
US will send Stryker combat vehicles to Ukraine for first time as part of $2.5 billion security package - CNN
US will send Stryker combat vehicles to Ukraine for first time as part of $2.5 billion security package CNN
PA doubles down on decision to end security coordination The Jerusalem Post
Scottsdale business rethinking security after fourth Molotov cocktail incident this month - Arizona's Family
Scottsdale business rethinking security after fourth Molotov cocktail incident this month Arizona's Family
New Orleans walking krewes struggle to afford carnival security FOX 8 Local First
Cleveland Heights HS updates security policy after 50-student brawl at basketball game - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland
Cleveland Heights HS updates security policy after 50-student brawl at basketball game WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland
Four Australian Open spectators 'revealed inappropriate flags and symbols and threatened security guards,' organizer says - CNN
Four Australian Open spectators 'revealed inappropriate flags and symbols and threatened security guards,' organizer says CNN
Texas congressman says both parties grandstand on border security YakTriNews KAPP-KVEW
How Schools Have Boosted Security as Shootings Become More Common The New York Times
Musk's Twitter still violates FTC security pact, new whistleblower says The Washington Post
At Marine Raiders' homicide trial, questions center on security video Marine Corps Times
More Than $3 Billion in Additional Security Assistance for Ukraine Department of Defense
Eliminating SaaS Shadow IT is Now Available via a Self-Service Product, Free of Charge - The Hacker News
Eliminating SaaS Shadow IT is Now Available via a Self-Service Product, Free of Charge The Hacker News
DHS Continues to Prepare for End of Title 42; Announces New ... Homeland Security
Brittney Griner’s Security Concerns Forces the WNBA to Once Again Tackle its Travel Issues - Yahoo Life
Brittney Griner’s Security Concerns Forces the WNBA to Once Again Tackle its Travel Issues Yahoo Life
Data Security Incident Update – Personal Data Breach Public ... Wabtec Corporation
‘Terrorist’ designation for Iran’s IRGC would harm EU security Al Jazeera English
Riot Games hacked, delays game patches after security breach BleepingComputer
API Security Is the New Black Dark Reading
Remarks by President Biden on Border Security and Enforcement The White House
Microsoft ends Windows 7 security updates TechCrunch
The Move to a New Anti-Virus Model
This is the second in a series of articles highlighting reasons why we need a new model for anti-virus and security solutions.Reason #1: the Basic ModelAnti-virus software vendors still rely on yesterday's methods for solving today's problems: they wait for the next virus to wreak havoc and then produce a solution.
Hacked: Who Else Is Using Your Computer?
A friend called me one day and asked if I would stop by to look at his computer. He said it was running abnormally slow and he had found something on his hard-drive he could not explain.
How to Fight Spyware
If you are wondering how to fight spyware for safe web surfing, this Internet privacy article will answer some of your questions. By now you have probably heard about the dangers of spyware.
How to Thwart the Barbarian Spyware!
Today,on most internet user's computers, we have theability to employ software, along with ourintelligence, to prevent viruses and spyware.To put this article into proper perspective, we'll useMedieval defense tactics.
What Every Internet Marketer Should Know About Spyware
If you run any type of Internet business, Adware and Spyware can be a very serious issue. These programs hide themselves on your computer and do all sorts of annoying and potentially dangerous things.
Dont be a Dork - Protect Yourself
There are folks out there who use their powers for evil, not good. Let's not give them the opportunity to sneak into our lives and wreak havoc.
How Did This Happen to Me? Top 10 Ways to Get Spyware or Viruses on Your Computer
If you use the internet, you have probably been infected with a virus, trojan or spyware. According to the SANS Internet Storm Center, the average unprotected PC is infected within 20 minutes of normal internet usage.
How To Cover Your Tracks On The Internet
Every single time you access a website, you leave tracks. Tracks that others can access.
40 Million People Hacked - YOU as Identity Theft Victim
Saturday, MasterCard blamed a vendor of ALL credit cardproviders called CardSystems Solutions, Inc., a third-partyprocessor of payment card data, as the source of loss of 40million consumers credit card information.
Internet Shopping - How Safe Is It?
Millions of people make purchases online, but many people are still wary. They fear the unknown and have many doubts and questions about who they are dealing with.
Arming Yourself Against Spyware
While clicking from site to site on the internet you are likely to land yourself on a website that downloads spyware onto your computer system. Even while using familiar or unlikely and secure web site you run the risk of being infected with unwanted spyware.
The Risk Of Electronic Fraud & Identity Theft
Electronic Fraud and Identity Theft-----------------------------------Human beings are pretty sensible when presented with an imminent threat or risk. That is, if it's staring us directly in the face.
5 Simple Steps to Protect your Digital Downloads
A couple of days ago, I was searching for a popular eBook online. Now I'm not going to tell you the name of this eBook for reasons you'll understand in the next few minutes.
Phishing - Its Signs and Your Options
Phishing is the act of some individual sending an email to a user in an attempt to scam the user to release personal information. Is it easy to determine if it's a scam? Sometimes - but not always.
Everything You Need To Know About Spyware and Malware
You are at your computer, checking out software on EBay. The computer is really sluggish, and you are not running anything else.
Identity Theft -- 10 Simple Ways to Protect Your Good Name!
Identity Theft is one of the most serious problems facing Internet users. Identity Theft is exactly as the name states -- someone steals your Identity and commits fraud in your name.
Why you Must Secure your Digital Product and Thank You Web Page
A couple of years back, I paid my dues the 'hard way'.My web site was up and running, the sales letter had been 'crafted' with the most influential marketing techniques and the profits had been consistently coming-in, until.
The One Critical Piece Of Free Software Thats Been Overlooked
Can You Prevent Spyware, Worms, Trojans, Viruses,..
Mail Forwarding - Why Would You Do It?
First of all we need to get some terms stated. I have been in the business for just over two years and there is still some confusion over the topic.
8 Surefire Ways to Spot an EBAY Scam E-Mail and Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
Ebay is a great site and is used by many to buy and sell new and used Items. It truly is the worlds Largest Garage Sale Unfortunately when an online site becomes as big and popular as E-Bay the scam artists seem to just naturally follow.
|home | site map|