Highlights of IRS List of 2005 Tax Scams
Each year, the IRS lists various scams taxpayers get caught up in. The top 2005 scams include several that manipulate laws governing charitable groups, abuse credit counseling services or rely on refuted arguments to claim tax exemptions. The agency is warning taxpayers about the growth of identity theft schemes with some particularly bold thieves even pretending to be IRS agents.
2005 Scam Highlights
1. Credit Counseling. The IRS warns taxpayers to be careful with credit counseling organizations that claim they can fix credit ratings, promote debt payment agreements or charge high fees, monthly service charges or mandatory "contributions" that may add to debt. The IRS Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division has made auditing credit counseling organizations a priority because some of these tax-exempt organizations, which are intended to provide education to low-income customers with debt problems, are charging debtors large fees, while providing little or no counseling.
2. Identity Theft. It pays to be choosy when it comes to disclosing personal information. Identity thieves have used stolen personal data to access financial accounts, run up charges on credit cards and apply for new loans. The IRS is aware of several identity theft scams involving taxes. In one case, fraudsters sent bank customers fictitious correspondence and IRS forms in an attempt to trick them into disclosing their personal financial data. In another, abusive tax preparers used clients' Social Security numbers and other information to file false tax returns without the clients' knowledge. Sometimes scammers pose as the IRS itself. Last year the IRS shut down a scheme in which perpetrators used e-mail to announce to unsuspecting taxpayers that they were "under audit" and could set matters right by divulging sensitive financial information on an official-looking Web site. Taxpayers should note the IRS does not use e-mail to contact them about issues related to their accounts.
3."Claim of Right" Doctrine. In this scheme, a taxpayer files a return and attempts to take a deduction equal to the entire amount of his or her wages. The promoter advises the taxpayer to label the deduction as "a necessary expense for the production of income" or "compensation for personal services actually rendered." This so-called deduction is based on a misinterpretation of the Internal Revenue Code and has no basis in law.
4. "No Gain" Deduction. - Taxpayers attempt to eliminate their entire adjusted gross income (AGI) by deducting it on Schedule A. The filer lists their AGI under the Schedule A section labeled "Other Miscellaneous Deductions" and attaches a statement referring to court documents and including the words "No Gain Realized."
5. Corporation Sole. Participants apply for incorporation under the pretext of being a "bishop" or "overseer" of a one-person, phony religious organization or society with the idea that this entitles the individual to exemption from federal income taxes as a nonprofit, religious organization. When used as intended, Corporation Sole statutes enable religious leaders to separate themselves legally from the control and ownership of church assets. But the rules have been twisted at seminars where taxpayers are charged fees of $1,000 or more and incorrectly told that Corporation Sole laws provide a "legal" way to escape paying federal income taxes, child support and other personal debts.
6. Offshore Transactions. Despite a crackdown, individuals continue to try to avoid U.S. taxes by illegally hiding income in offshore bank and brokerage accounts or using offshore credit cards, wire transfers, foreign trusts, employee leasing schemes, private annuities or life insurance to do so. The IRS continues to aggressively pursue taxpayers and promoters involved in such abusive transactions.
7. Zero Return. Promoters instruct taxpayers to enter all zeros on their federal income tax filings. In a twist on this scheme, filers enter zero income, report their withholding and then write "nunc pro tunc"-- Latin for "now for then"--on the return. The IRS takes a very poor view of this tactic.
8. Employment Tax Evasion. The IRS has seen a number of illegal schemes that instruct employers not to withhold federal income tax or other employment taxes from wages paid to their employees. Such advice is based on an incorrect interpretation of Section 861 and other parts of the tax law and has been refuted in court. Recent cases have resulted in criminal convictions, and the courts have issued injunctions against more than a dozen persons ordering them to stop promoting the scheme. Employer participants can also be held responsible for back payments of employment taxes, plus penalties and interest. It is worth noting that employees who have nothing withheld from their wages are still responsible for payment of their personal taxes. The employees, however, can sue their employer for damages.
Inappropriate tax schemes come and go, so the 2005 list is fairly standard stuff with one exception. The spread of identity theft schemes is troubling, particularly when thieves pretend to act as IRS agents. The IRS does not contact people by email, so don't fall for the scam. Be careful out there.
Richard Chapo is CEO of http://www.businesstaxrecovery.com - Obtaining tax refunds for small businesses by finding overlooked tax deductions and credits through a free tax return review.
Pay Now: Final Day to Pay Property Taxes Without Interest is Jan. 5 Mecklenburg County
Kanye West's Yeezy Clothing Brand Owes California $600000 in Unpaid Taxes CPAPracticeAdvisor.com
Can Capital Losses Lower My Income Taxes? Yahoo Finance
Weirton Transit hoping to take steps to address unpaid taxes The Steubenville Herald-Star
Lawmakers Seek to Extend Tax Break for “Research” that Corporations Use to Develop Frozen Foods, New Beer Flavors, Casino Games and Tax Avoidance - Just Taxes Blog
Lawmakers Seek to Extend Tax Break for “Research” that Corporations Use to Develop Frozen Foods, New Beer Flavors, Casino Games and Tax Avoidance Just Taxes Blog
Governor Beshear: Higher sales taxes not good for Kentucky LEX 18 News - Lexington, KY
Bay Area home values are falling. Here’s why most homeowners still shouldn’t expect a break on their property tax bill - The Mercury News
Bay Area home values are falling. Here’s why most homeowners still shouldn’t expect a break on their property tax bill The Mercury News
WILLIAMS: Clearing up confusion about cars and taxes Mcalester News Capital
Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick diverge ahead of the legislative session on property taxes, power grid - The Texas Tribune
Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick diverge ahead of the legislative session on property taxes, power grid The Texas Tribune
Ashland city taxes essentially unchanged | Local Ashland Daily Press
FlyFin Introduces New Tax Tips and Strategies Just in Time for Tax Filers to Adhere to New IRS Reporting Rule for $600 Threshold on Payment Apps - Yahoo Finance
FlyFin Introduces New Tax Tips and Strategies Just in Time for Tax Filers to Adhere to New IRS Reporting Rule for $600 Threshold on Payment Apps Yahoo Finance
Recommendation: Change how Michigan taxes fuel at the pump Michigan Radio
Argentina to introduce income tax relief in January Reuters Canada
Chile's Tax Reform Heads in the Wrong Direction Tax Foundation
Sauk-Suiattle Tribe alleges state unfairly charges online sales tax | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald
Sauk-Suiattle Tribe alleges state unfairly charges online sales tax | HeraldNet.com The Daily Herald
How will the rise in Middletown property values affect taxes? Middletown Press
A new year means new taxes BerthoudSurveyor.com
CPS: High tax demands, low enrollment CBS Chicago
DFL lawmakers split over whether to exclude Social Security from Minnesota taxes - FOX 9 Minneapolis-St. Paul
DFL lawmakers split over whether to exclude Social Security from Minnesota taxes FOX 9 Minneapolis-St. Paul
Stafford Man Pleads Guilty to Tax Evasion | USAO-CT Department of Justice
Galesburg considers raising sales tax amid adamant opposition Galesburg Register-Mail
Governor Burgum Champions Tax Cuts for North Dakota Americans for Tax Reform
What are taxes and what are they for? Área corporativa Banco Santander
Garner business owner faces 5 years in prison for failing to pay over employment taxes, USDOJ says - CBS17.com
Garner business owner faces 5 years in prison for failing to pay over employment taxes, USDOJ says CBS17.com
Charleston City Council votes to increase taxes, raise pay across the board - Charleston Post Courier
Charleston City Council votes to increase taxes, raise pay across the board Charleston Post Courier
Letter: Now, about those ‘windfall’ taxes Chico Enterprise-Record
Kemp suspends state gas tax for the last time Brunswick News
Property tax increases: Legislators pursuing variety of solutions to complicated problem - Buffalo Bulletin
Property tax increases: Legislators pursuing variety of solutions to complicated problem Buffalo Bulletin
2023 Tax Outlook Pt. 1: Lame Duck Session, Split Congress Expectations - Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting
2023 Tax Outlook Pt. 1: Lame Duck Session, Split Congress Expectations Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting
Some council members question Pittsburgh's plans for parks tax Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Bristol Proposes $11.6 Million Budget Without Tax Hike LevittownNow.com
Wisconsin will tax student debt forgiveness unless state law changes Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Vermilion Energy: Windfall Tax Update (NYSE:VET) Seeking Alpha
Retirees Can Still Reduce Taxes in Retirement Kiplinger's Personal Finance
'Difficult decisions': Britain announces higher taxes and spending cuts in warning sign for other governments - CNN
'Difficult decisions': Britain announces higher taxes and spending cuts in warning sign for other governments CNN
Tax Filing Websites Have Been Sending Users' Financial Information to Facebook – The Markup - The Markup
Tax Filing Websites Have Been Sending Users' Financial Information to Facebook – The Markup The Markup
State Reciprocity Agreements: Income Taxes Tax Foundation
Comparing Income Tax Systems in Europe, 2022 Tax Foundation
Will Taxing the Windfall Profits of Oil Giants Fix Countries’ Economies? The New York Times
Utah lawmakers propose income tax cut, constitutional amendment on property taxes - FOX 13 News Utah
Missouri personal property tax bills on the way, likely higher than years past - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis
Missouri personal property tax bills on the way, likely higher than years past KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis
2022 Tax Extenders: Details & Analysis Tax Foundation
How state taxes make inequality worse – Center for Public Integrity - The Center for Public Integrity
How state taxes make inequality worse – Center for Public Integrity The Center for Public Integrity
Back To School - Educators Deduct School Expenses
As teachers and students head back to school following a glorious summer, it's time to remind teachers to organize 2004 school expenses. Under a temporary tax code change, teachers can deduct certain school-related expenses from adjusted gross income.
Getting A Second Extension to File 2004 Taxes
Millions of people file tax return extensions every year. The tax filing deadlines can rush up on your quickly.
Tax Trap #2 -- Double Taxation: Isnt Once Enough?
Have you been thinking about incorporating your smallbusiness or self-employment activity? The advantagesare many!For starters, you'll be protecting yourself and your familyfrom the possible of a business ending lawsuit. Forming acorporation is Step One on the path known as "AssetProtection" -- you are moving from the world of unlimitedliability to the world of limited liability.
Early Distributions From Retirement Plans
An early distribution from an Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA) or a qualified retirement plan need not be a "taxing" experience. Fortunately, there are exceptions to early distributions.
Estate Taxes - It Pays to Plan Ahead
Estate taxes. It's not enough to simply know they exist, and to know strategies to minimize them.
IRS Lock-In Letters - What's An Employer To Do?
Employers often ask employees to designate the amount of tax withholdings for paychecks. Occasionally, employees will fail to withhold a sufficient amount in the eyes of the IRS.
10 Tax Tips to Reduce Costs and Increase Income
No one likes paying tax. Everyone understands that tax is a necessary evil and that without it our government would not be able to afford our roads, health services, education, welfare system etc.
IRS Offer-in-Compromise, Hype or Hope?
"Settle for Pennies on the Dollar! IRS debts settled for $20Wipe out the Penalties with an Offer"-such is the language of Offer-in-Compromise promoters. What they fail to tell you is that one has to qualify for an Offer and few taxpayers will be able to meet the tough standards for an OIC.
Employment Taxes - What Are They?
If you have employees, you are responsible for paying a variety of taxes at the federal, state, and local levels. You must also withhold certain taxes from the paychecks of your employees.
Fraudulent Tax Shelters - KMPG Goes Down Hard
In the largest criminal tax case ever filed, KMPG has copped a plea to using fraudulent tax shelters to bilk the government out of 2.5 billion dollars.
Slash Tax when Buying a Business
When buying a business, how the "purchase price" is made up can affect what you pay in tax. The plan is to make as much of the price tax deductible for you and not the other party.
Rearrange Your Affairs For Maximum Tax Savings
One way to maximize your business profits is by reducing your taxes.Frequently, income and other taxes could be lowered significantly if only the taxpayer were willing to plan ahead.
The Tax Man Cometh... To Search
You're at your office, or home, and the doorbell rings - it's the Canada Revenue Agency ("CRA").The first thing to do is find out why they've come.
1031 Exchange Rules and Requirements
Following is a reproduction of the IRS's rules and requirements for 1031 tax deferred exchanges with regards to real property. If you have any questions regarding the sale of your real property or questions about what qualifies for a 1031 exchange or not, please consult your tax professional.
How to Maximize Your Home Business Tax Deductions for 2005
Someone once said, 'the best way to calculate your taxes is?Honestly'. For 2005, add 'Smartly' to that and you'll get to keep more than you make.
IRS Certifies 2006 Toyota Hybrid for Clean Fuel Deduction
The Internal Revenue Service has certified the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid as being eligible for the clean-burning fuel deduction. This certification means that taxpayers who purchase one of these hybrid vehicles new during calendar year 2005 may claim a tax deduction of up to $2000 on Form 1040.
How Home-Based Businesses Can Avoid Giving Uncle Sam More than His Share
How Home-Based Businesses Can Avoid Giving Uncle Sam More than His ShareBy Darren Oliver With the rush to file your taxes by April 15th, you probably did not consider the possibility that you overpaid. According to the General Accounting Office, in 1998 alone, there was $311 million paid unnecessarily to the IRS.
Another Tax Loophole
Just image, you are a small manufacturing company, business has been good, but yesterday you received a call from a customer who wants 50,000 widgets in 45 days. The customer is a large account and if you turn the business down, he may never call you again.
Tax Tips to Save Money on Taxes - Get the Corporate Kick and Save Loads of Money
Why a Corporation Helps Save You TaxesThe Tax Rates (Notice anything unusual?):The following tables provide a list of the tax rates for individuals and corporations:Personal: $0-$24,650 15% $24,651-$59,750 28% $59, 750-$124,650 31% $124,651-$271,050 36% $271,050+ 39.6%Tax SecretsCorporate: 0-$50,000 15% $50,001-$75,000 25% $75,001-100,000 34% $100,001-$335,000 39% $335-000-$10M 34%If you examine them closely, you will see at least one glaring contrast.
What You Need To Know About Taxes If You're Getting Married
It may not be high on the list of wedding planning activities, but there are a few simple steps that can help keep tax issues from interrupting your newly wedded bliss. If you recently married, check out your new tax situation.
|home | site map|