Taxes Information

I Havent Filed a Tax Return with IRS in Years, What Do I Do?

In elementary school, kids come up with creative excuses why they did not bring in their homework. "My dog ate it" or "It was stolen by invisible space aliens" might be given as a reason why something was not turned in on time. Don't try those excuses with the IRS! Don't blame divorce, business failures, or family troubles either, because except under extreme circumstances, they won't register with the taxman.

If you have unfiled tax returns, you need to file at least the last 6-7 years. Although under law IRS could make you go back and file that return from the late 1970's when you were a disco diva or urban cowboy, the good news is that as a matter of policy they don't! In most cases, filing the last 6-7 years will be OK and IRS will consider you in compliance. So don't procrastinate any further, file the returns if you made over the standard deduction and personal exemption amounts during those years or were self-employed.

People delay filing returns for 3 main reasons:

1. They are afraid or embarrassed;

2. They have lost the records or don't know where to go to get the returns done; or

3. Some crackpot advised them income taxes are bogus and that they don't have to file.

Don't be afraid of filing, be afraid of what will happen if you don't file. IRS could file for you and you might owe more than if you would have done it yourself or IRS could send somebody out looking for you. It is not a crime to owe IRS money, it can be a crime under some circumstances for not filing a tax return or a false return.

If you lost your records relax, in most case you can get all your income data from IRS so that you can prepare the tax returns. If you had deductions, you may have to dig those up and organize your records.

IRS is a legitimate government agency and they can and do enforce the laws on filing a Federal Tax Return. It sounds good when somebody says IRS is a fraud, but it is a lie. We all have to pay taxes.

If you havent't filed in years you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and after lots of time on hold and maybe a few transfers, you will eventually get somebody who can help you get your W2 info mailed to you. Your local library may have old tax forms and tax books to help you do the returns. You can do it yourself, but I suggest getting a professional to help you.

Don't go to some guy or gal advertising on TV with a big company. Go to a professional person or small firm where you can talk one on one with a CPA, Enrolled Agent, or Tax Attorney. It doesn't have to be a local person, you could hire someone across the country. With email, fax, etc. you can avoid some embarassment of going to a local tax pro if you live in a small town by hiring someone far away. But don't hire somebody without checking them out. Read any contract they send you. Don't part with your hard earned money unless you are sure of their qualifications.

Members of the following organizations must adhere to high ethical standards and might be a good choice for you: National Society of Accountants (NSA); National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA); or the American Insitute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). You might also look for professionals holding the Accredited Tax Preparer (ATP) or Accredited Tax Advisor (ATA) designation.

Don't let your cousin Jimmy do your returns or that nice neighbor who says he is an expert. I have seen more screwed up returns done by friends and relatives than I care to remember.

Get peace of mind, file those returns. You may owe money but you may have a refund waiting. Guess what, if you file the return more than three years after the due date; you lose the refund!

Here are some sites that can give you more info:

James Robert Coleman, E.A., A.T.A.
Enrolled Agent & Accredited Tax Advisor
Member: National Association of Enrolled Agents
Former IRS Revenue Officer, GS-11



4 winning investment moves for the Trump tax era
If the plans come to pass, people who live off their investments, like retirees, will have to worry less about taxes and they'll have more options, especially in the bond market. The tax proposals of president-elect Donald Trump and of House ...
Trump's tax plan could be bad news for the housing market, charitable giving, and local governmentsBusiness Insider
Trump's Current Plan Means Higher Taxes for Some in the Middle
7 winners and losers in Trump's tax
Washington Post -Forbes -New York Post
all 96 news articles »


Trump Tweets Out Promises To Increase Import Taxes As Carrier, Ford Make Moves
It was subsequently confirmed that the company will receive about $7 million in state tax incentives in exchange for continued investment in the Hoosier state. The incentives, which included up to $6 million in tax credits as well as $1 million in ...
Donald Trump doubles down on 35% tax for businesses that ship jobs out of USCNNMoney
After Carrier deal, Trump vows tax of 35 percent for US business going overseasFox News
Donald Trump announces 35 percent punishment tax on companies that offshore jobsWashington Times
Slate Magazine (blog) -Business Standard
all 473 news articles »


Ronaldo, Mourinho warned over tax - report
The representatives of Cristiano Ronaldo and Jose Mourinho were warned that the structure of the their tax affairs was potentially risky, according to media reports in Spain. An investigation sparked by a leak of more than 18 million documents has ...
Football Leaks: Ronaldo and Mourinho accused of tax avoidanceBBC News
Cristiano Ronaldo reps hit back against tax fraud
Jose Mourinho's advisers 'misled tax man during inquiries into £10million earnings'Daily Mail -beIN SPORTS AUSTRALIA
all 671 news articles »

The Hill (blog)

Allow states to require remote sellers to collect legally owed taxes
The Hill (blog)
The inability to effectively collect legally owed sales taxes from remote sellers is significantly eroding the sales tax base of the State, causing revenue losses and imminent harm to the State through the loss of critical funding for state and local ...

Fox Business

The Worst Tax Move You Can Make in 2017
Fox Business
It can happen to the best of us. You thought you copied the right figure onto your tax form, but you mixed up a couple of digits. Or maybe you forgot about that interest payment from the bank whose statements you rarely check. It's easy enough to make ...

and more »


Ozil paid €2m back-taxes in Spain - report
Germany international Mesut Ozil paid more than €2 million (£1.67m) in back tax in Spain and is disputing a €790,000 fine, according to documents supplied to Der Spiegel by Football Leaks. The Der Spiegel report says that, at the time of Ozil's ...

and more »


England, Spain authorities call for inquiry into Jose Mourinho's taxes
Julian Lopez Milla, a member of the Spanish parliament's tax committee, told the Times that he would "call on the authorities to reopen the case and investigate whether Mourinho has committed the criminal offence of tax fraud." In England, MP Meg ...

and more »

Wall Street Journal

Taxes Under Trump: Almost Everyone Pays Less and the Richest Pay a Lot Less
Wall Street Journal
Steven Mnuchin, the likely next Treasury secretary, this week said rich U.S. taxpayers won't get “an absolute tax cut” under President-elect Donald Trump. But that is not what Mr. Trump says in his taxation plan. In fact, under his approach the wealthy ...
Trump's plan to help middle class uses child-care tax breaksCNBC
Trump's proposed tax 'reform' is hardly reform at allWashington Post
Trump's Treasury Pick Describes A Very Different Tax Plan Than His Boss Campaigned OnForbes
New York Times -Slate Magazine -Reuters -Tax Policy Center
all 103 news articles »


Trump's tax nightmare - POLITICO
The president-elect would have to navigate a staggering tax bill if he eased out of his business empire.

and more »

The Detroit News

Editorial: Detroit should collect its own taxes
The Detroit News
Detroit has historically had challenges collecting its taxes, with inefficient enforcement mechanisms and lackluster compliance by citizens. It costs the city revenue it desperately needs. But that doesn't justify shifting the collection burden onto ...

Google News

home | site map
© 2006