|Time Management Information|
Whats Keeping You At The Office (9 Tips To Get Home Quicker)
"Work smarter, not harder" is a cliché that has darted in and out of the workplace for years. But it's still as true as ever. And it's often overlooked advice that truly works. "Working smarter" means think strategically about how to improve your productivity. For starters, think about how you spend a typical day. Then eliminate the time robbers. How? Like this...
1. Discourage excessive visitors. Move the candy dish. Put it far away from your desk. Why? Because food is a friend when you're trying to attract or meet your peers but it's also a foe that cuts into your time. If 12 people stop by your desk for sweets and initiate a five minute chat each, you've lost an hour of your day.
2. Train your family. Set limits on personal calls. I once worked beside an executive assistant who received at least ten calls daily from her teenage daughter. Use the three or five rule for family members who like instant input: Wait until you have at least three (or five) items to discuss with me before calling my workplace, unless your request is an emergency or timely. ('Mom, the sale ends today' falls under neither of these categories).
3. Don't wait for the mail carrier. Do you read every e-mail as it arrives? Stop! "Instead of keeping your email program open and reading messages as they come in, check it only once in the morning and once in the afternoon," advises Janet Barclay, a professional organizer, time management consultant and president of Organized Assistant (www.OrganizedAssistant.com). Shut off the sound too triggered by incoming e-mail so you're not tempted to check it "just this once."
4. Re-deliver your mail. If you must check your e-mail constantly because your boss likes to e-mail you requests and expects you to do so (I've had some do that), immediately sort the excess into electronic categorized folders such as "newsletters" or "invoices due."(Go ahead and create some electronic folders now if you don't have any.) That way every time you check your e-mail for your boss' messages, other e-mails don't continue to attract your curiosity. Then browse the filed e-mails at once later in the day when it's convenient for you, not the sender.
5. Be less than perfect. You can't stop your boss' perfectionist behavior. But you can literally set limits to control your perfectionism. For instance, set short time spans for drafting basic correspondence. Or make it a rule that you'll proofread correspondence just twice before sending it (often best done with a bit of a delay between the two proofreading sessions).
6. Improve your performance. The way to really save time on tasks such as writing and proofreading is to become better at them. Use the 30 minutes you save daily while reducing your perfectionism to read chapters in a grammar book, expand your vocabulary with useful words (forget most of the five syllable ones) or take an online business writing course. Nobody should spend an hour drafting a thank you letter; yet I've seen it happen multiple times in corporate environments at all staff levels.
7. Call while they're out. "When phoning someone to give information, call when you are likely to reach their voicemail," says Barclay. "That way you can quickly leave a message and not get caught up in chitchat."
8. Think realistically. "Don't focus on 'catching up,'" says Laura Stack, president of "The Productivity Pro"® and author of "Leave the Office Earlier." "You will never catch up. There will always be more things to do than there is time to do them. People have a tendency to create work to fill up any amount of time they have. They'll accomplish the same amount of work in a 45-minute meeting as a 90-minute meeting. When working late is a habit, you tend to slack off a little. But by being more productive during the day, you'll get the same amount of work done...and leave earlier," explains Stack.
9. Get ready to go. "Make preparations to leave," says Stack, who teaches seminars about time management, information overload, and personal productivity (Laura@TheProductivityPro.com). "Gather up your coat and put it in a visible spot so others can see you're closing shop. Close your door a few minutes before quitting time so people will think you're busy or already gone."
Now leave! Get home earlier today (or at least on time). Then perhaps you'll start the work day tomorrow feeling more refreshed, enabling you to be even more productive utilizing the same amount of hours.
© 2004 Karen Fritscher-Porter
About The Author
Karen Fritscher-Porter is the publisher and editor of The Effective Admin, a FREE monthly e-zine for administrative support professionals who want practical tips to advance their career and simplify their daily job duties. Learn more about The Effective Admin and sign up today to receive your FREE issues full of helpful career and workplace tips at http://www.admin-ezine.com.
Note: Want to use this article in your print publication, e-zine or website? You can do so for *free* as long as you use it in its complete and unaltered form followed by the credit line above. I'd love to know about its usage too if you'd like to send me a link or copy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Case and Time Management Training for Court Staff Council of Europe
Better Time Management = Better Business Development Critical Hit
Your Problem Is Not Time Management ThinkAdvisor
2 time-management tricks Microsoft's CMO learned from working with Bill Gatesâ€”and how they can help you be more successful - CNBC
2 time-management tricks Microsoft's CMO learned from working with Bill Gatesâ€”and how they can help you be more successful CNBC
Replicon Unveils ZeroTimeâ„˘: Revolutionary AI-powered Automatic Time Tracking for the Global Workforce - PR Newswire
Replicon Unveils ZeroTimeâ„˘: Revolutionary AI-powered Automatic Time Tracking for the Global Workforce PR Newswire
Essay Writer Gives 7 Time Management Tips for College First Years Yucatan Magazine
Researchers find ways to help teens get more sleep: Time management and bright light therapy prove effective for adolescents - Science Daily
Researchers find ways to help teens get more sleep: Time management and bright light therapy prove effective for adolescents Science Daily
Three secret military time management tips We Are The Mighty
How Tom Brady's time management woes doomed Bucs in failed comeback vs. Packers: 'Just a bad execution' - Sporting News
How Tom Brady's time management woes doomed Bucs in failed comeback vs. Packers: 'Just a bad execution' Sporting News
Time-management skills on resumes Kearney Hub
RANDALL: Time management to clear the clutter Kankakee Daily Journal
OPINION: Time management should be marketed to Generation Z College Heights Herald
Time management tips for academics | THE Campus Learn, Share, Connect Times Higher Education
In his own words: Spring 2022 PNC Achiever Jacob Quattlebaum Auburn Tigers Official Athletic Site
Northwestern Events Calendar: 9/23/2022 CRS Career Catalyst: Time Management - Northwestern University
Northwestern Events Calendar: 9/23/2022 CRS Career Catalyst: Time Management Northwestern University
Digital workplace startup Notion taps Instacart VP as its chief financial officer - Bizwomen - The Business Journals
Digital workplace startup Notion taps Instacart VP as its chief financial officer - Bizwomen The Business Journals
Is Bad Onboarding Stifling Your New Senior Leaders? HBR.org Daily
Unified Time Management Platforms Trend Hunter
Stress management for parole officers CorrectionsOne
Time Management Tips For Playing Online Casino Games THISDAY Newspapers
SpotOn Introduces SpotOn Teamwork, Restaurant Industry's Most Comprehensive Labor Management Software, Built to Save Time and Money - Business Wire
SpotOn Introduces SpotOn Teamwork, Restaurant Industry's Most Comprehensive Labor Management Software, Built to Save Time and Money Business Wire
The power is back in your hands ä¸€ itâ€™s time to take control of your life Highlander Newspaper
Employee Monitoring: How to (and not to) track employee productivity Business Management Daily
The Wright State Guardian The Wright State Guardian
I owe my work-life balance to effective time management, ability to multi-task â€“ Larmmy Ogidan-Odeseye - Vanguard
I owe my work-life balance to effective time management, ability to multi-task â€“ Larmmy Ogidan-Odeseye Vanguard
In Dialogue: Galit Ben-Joseph, CFPÂ®, Financial Advisor At J.P. Morgan Wealth Management On Planning In Uncertain Times - Forbes
In Dialogue: Galit Ben-Joseph, CFPÂ®, Financial Advisor At J.P. Morgan Wealth Management On Planning In Uncertain Times Forbes
Valley attorneys: Be aware of legal, consideration issues regarding remote work - The Business Journals
Valley attorneys: Be aware of legal, consideration issues regarding remote work The Business Journals
What Students Are Saying About Having a Part-Time Job While in School The New York Times
Time management and the magical motivation fairy| THE Campus Learn, Share, Connect - Times Higher Education
Time management and the magical motivation fairy| THE Campus Learn, Share, Connect Times Higher Education
Mike White: Carlynton's Ryan Lewis in good 'position' with football and soccer - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Mike White: Carlynton's Ryan Lewis in good 'position' with football and soccer Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Effective Time Management for Leaders ReadWrite
How to Balance Work and Studies When Taking an Online Program - eLearningInside News - eLearningInside News
How to Balance Work and Studies When Taking an Online Program - eLearningInside News eLearningInside News
Industry insights: 4 healthcare executives discuss the biggest challenges in cardiology today - Cardiovascular Business
Industry insights: 4 healthcare executives discuss the biggest challenges in cardiology today Cardiovascular Business
Time Tracking Software for Hourly Workforces | Workforce.com Workforce Management
Tiger Tunes Survival Guide â€“ The OBU Signal OBU The Signal
Unheralded DT played big role in Billsâ€™ goal line stop & eventual INT vs. Ravens (Encouraged/worried) - syracuse.com
Unheralded DT played big role in Billsâ€™ goal line stop & eventual INT vs. Ravens (Encouraged/worried) syracuse.com
Applying to a top US boarding school: A guide by The Webb School Study International News
GGTOOR, Inc., (OTCMKTS:GTOR) Announces Management Report for the Week Ended October 1, 2022 - GlobeNewswire
GGTOOR, Inc., (OTCMKTS:GTOR) Announces Management Report for the Week Ended October 1, 2022 GlobeNewswire
5 Simple Tips to Help You Finish What You Start Entrepreneur
Is Time Up For No Overtime in Trucking? [Commentary] Heavy Duty Trucking
Expert: 'Huge Opportunity for Pharmacy Reimbursement' in Diabetes Self-Management Education Services - Pharmacy Times
Expert: 'Huge Opportunity for Pharmacy Reimbursement' in Diabetes Self-Management Education Services Pharmacy Times
Pro tips: How to stay on top of your course load this fall The Calgary Journal
Midtown alumni take on collegiate athletics â€“ the Southerner Online the Southerner Online
Did The Bucs Defense Think It Could Handle The Chiefs? JoeBucsFan.com
American College of EducationÂ® Announces Two New Online Bachelor's-Completion Programs - PR Newswire
Salunda Limited Executes Exclusive License Agreement with Transocean for HaloGuardÂ® Real-Time Zone Management Technology - PR Newswire
Salunda Limited Executes Exclusive License Agreement with Transocean for HaloGuardÂ® Real-Time Zone Management Technology PR Newswire
Lunch N' Learn Parenting Workshops Scheduled for Fall Term Santa Fe College
UP's Health and Counseling Center welcomes new director of student wellness and sees major structural changes - The Beacon
UP's Health and Counseling Center welcomes new director of student wellness and sees major structural changes The Beacon
Intesa Sanpaolo S p A : is the number-one bank in Europe and number-two in the world by diversity and inclusion according to the "Refinitiv Global Diversity And Inclusion Index" - Marketscreener.com
Intesa Sanpaolo S p A : is the number-one bank in Europe and number-two in the world by diversity and inclusion according to the "Refinitiv Global Diversity And Inclusion Index" Marketscreener.com
24 Time Management Strategies to Be More Efficient Entrepreneur
A day in the life of project managers - SA Shares Bizcommunity.com
Full Time Social Media Coordinator Pedestrian.TV
How To Use Autopay To Manage Your Finances Bankrate.com
AppDirect Collaborates With Intuit to Expand Distribution of Business Management Solutions - Business Wire
AppDirect Collaborates With Intuit to Expand Distribution of Business Management Solutions Business Wire
International students experience Penn State Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania State University
Q&A: Time Management for Work and Screens Duke Today
Peyton Manning & Eli Manning Hilariously Roast Stephen Curry Over Benign Youth Football Picture - The Sportsrush
Peyton Manning & Eli Manning Hilariously Roast Stephen Curry Over Benign Youth Football Picture The Sportsrush
Bracing up to work in tech TechCabal
How to Improve Your Time Management Skills - Knowledge at Wharton Knowledge@Wharton
Dyslexia Awareness Week - Success in the Workplace British Dyslexia Association
When Time Management Can't Help Entrepreneur
How to Make More Time For Your Life
Do you wish you could work less and play more? Are you so stuck in the rut you can't see a way out? Have you ever said I wish I had more time for me?Well there is hope. First of all you have to be aware of your situation, have a strong desire to change and then take action.
You Cant Buy Time
Our daily lives are inundated with a crammed to-do list. We are often rushing throughout our day trying to keep up with ourselves.
Time is on Your Side - Manage it Wisely
How do you manage your time? Or is the more appropriate question do you wish you had better time management skills? I have clients and friends who rely on everything from legal pads to brightly colored sticky notepads to manage their time and appointments - practically everything in their life. I don't understand why some folks place so little importance on something as important as time management!As a professional Virtual Assistant, I have numerous clients and tasks I must complete every day.
Save Yourself Hours of Time in One Easy Step
If you have spent any time at all working at marketing on the web, you will have a long list of affiliate programs and membership sites that you have joined. You may also have a long list if websites that you run.
How to Define a Successful Time Management Strategy
One of the most challenging aspect in life is time management. In the current fast changing environment, time management is very important in both your personal and official life.
Reading -- 10 Ways to Find The Time
Why Read?It's been said that there are three kinds of knowledge:? What you know? What you know that you don't know, and? What you don't know that you don't know.What you know is an asset.
More Time Wanted? Deal with Your Time-wasters Now!
Ever feel that you spend too much time shoring up the performance of some of your people? More time with one or two than with some of the others.And doesn't that just drain you? So think about those employees and how they are draining you and damaging the energy you have.
Spend Less Time at Work and Get More Done
Sounds too good to be true?It really isn't!In fact, studies show that after a certain amount of hours at work each week, the average worker hits diminishing returns for their labor.Here are a couple of reasons this is true.
Top Ten Motivators
Setting goals is the easy part -- but sticking with them over the long run can be a major challenge! Some people think that motivation requires will-power and dedication. Actually, staying motivated is all about setting up an environment that is conducive to you accomplishing your goals.
Could you use a "Stop Doing" list?
One of the tried and true organization and time-management tools is the trusty old "to do" list. I was trained to diligently put one together at the end of the day for the following day, and whatever tasks I failed to complete, to carry it forward.
Four Simple Ways To Take Control Of Your Time And Your Life
It's been said, "That no one has enough time yet, everyone has all that there is." Simple concept - except when you're living your life in the multi-tasking lane.
If Only Your Brain Was the Size Of That Of an Ant You Could Easily Implement Habits
A year and a half ago I was introduced to something called Swarming or Swarm intelligence.A big telecommunication company was actually mimicking ants to improve the performance of some of their products.
Isn't it amazing that some people can produce huge results in the same 24 hours that we all have? Whether or not we realize it, we victimize ourselves by not appropriately deciding what to do with our time. Instead, we let our time decide what to do with us!Time is a commodity, and no matter who we are, we experience many demands on this precious commodity.
Measure Your Time Against Active Inactivity
We don't realize many things we do until we draw our attention to them.Active inactivity doesn't occur only now, it can occur later unless you catch yourself doing it.
Controlling Family Chaos - Time Management for the Family
Balancing a family's varying schedules can be near impossible. Soccer, hockey, dance, skating, Brownies, Scouts, skiing, swimming, school activities, homework, not to mention play and sleep time, fill our children's lives.
Doing Things We Dread
As I sit here in front of the computer I am breaking through on something that I have been tolerating for weeks now? actually sitting down to write this newsletter. I wasn't blocked for ideas - I had a list of them.
A Time-Saving Programming Tactic that Doesn't Work
Let's say that you have a software project that's under severe time pressure. Let's say that this deadline is so tight that you already know it will involve many late nights of black coffee and frenetic programming.
Time Management Tips for Busy Moms
If you are like most moms I know you think to yourself, at least once a day, "I wish I had more time!" Most of my clients come to me at some point asking how they can get more hours in the day. Unfortunately, the truth is you can't.
Time Management -- Urgent vs. Important
"It's just been one of those days?I can't seem to get anything done! I've got way too many things on my "To-Do List". Oh the list started out innocently enough as a single handwritten column on one sheet of lined paper; but now it's grown to a three-column table in a spreadsheet software program! I get no satisfaction from checking off each item as I finish it.
There are times, when I am driving in my car being passed by so many other cars speeding along, that I could swear there is an emergency somewhere and I wasn't invited. It seems everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere.
|home | site map|