|Time Management Information|
Whats Keeping You At The Office (9 Tips To Get Home Quicker)
"Work smarter, not harder" is a cliché that has darted in and out of the workplace for years. But it's still as true as ever. And it's often overlooked advice that truly works. "Working smarter" means think strategically about how to improve your productivity. For starters, think about how you spend a typical day. Then eliminate the time robbers. How? Like this...
1. Discourage excessive visitors. Move the candy dish. Put it far away from your desk. Why? Because food is a friend when you're trying to attract or meet your peers but it's also a foe that cuts into your time. If 12 people stop by your desk for sweets and initiate a five minute chat each, you've lost an hour of your day.
2. Train your family. Set limits on personal calls. I once worked beside an executive assistant who received at least ten calls daily from her teenage daughter. Use the three or five rule for family members who like instant input: Wait until you have at least three (or five) items to discuss with me before calling my workplace, unless your request is an emergency or timely. ('Mom, the sale ends today' falls under neither of these categories).
3. Don't wait for the mail carrier. Do you read every e-mail as it arrives? Stop! "Instead of keeping your email program open and reading messages as they come in, check it only once in the morning and once in the afternoon," advises Janet Barclay, a professional organizer, time management consultant and president of Organized Assistant (www.OrganizedAssistant.com). Shut off the sound too triggered by incoming e-mail so you're not tempted to check it "just this once."
4. Re-deliver your mail. If you must check your e-mail constantly because your boss likes to e-mail you requests and expects you to do so (I've had some do that), immediately sort the excess into electronic categorized folders such as "newsletters" or "invoices due."(Go ahead and create some electronic folders now if you don't have any.) That way every time you check your e-mail for your boss' messages, other e-mails don't continue to attract your curiosity. Then browse the filed e-mails at once later in the day when it's convenient for you, not the sender.
5. Be less than perfect. You can't stop your boss' perfectionist behavior. But you can literally set limits to control your perfectionism. For instance, set short time spans for drafting basic correspondence. Or make it a rule that you'll proofread correspondence just twice before sending it (often best done with a bit of a delay between the two proofreading sessions).
6. Improve your performance. The way to really save time on tasks such as writing and proofreading is to become better at them. Use the 30 minutes you save daily while reducing your perfectionism to read chapters in a grammar book, expand your vocabulary with useful words (forget most of the five syllable ones) or take an online business writing course. Nobody should spend an hour drafting a thank you letter; yet I've seen it happen multiple times in corporate environments at all staff levels.
7. Call while they're out. "When phoning someone to give information, call when you are likely to reach their voicemail," says Barclay. "That way you can quickly leave a message and not get caught up in chitchat."
8. Think realistically. "Don't focus on 'catching up,'" says Laura Stack, president of "The Productivity Pro"® and author of "Leave the Office Earlier." "You will never catch up. There will always be more things to do than there is time to do them. People have a tendency to create work to fill up any amount of time they have. They'll accomplish the same amount of work in a 45-minute meeting as a 90-minute meeting. When working late is a habit, you tend to slack off a little. But by being more productive during the day, you'll get the same amount of work done...and leave earlier," explains Stack.
9. Get ready to go. "Make preparations to leave," says Stack, who teaches seminars about time management, information overload, and personal productivity (Laura@TheProductivityPro.com). "Gather up your coat and put it in a visible spot so others can see you're closing shop. Close your door a few minutes before quitting time so people will think you're busy or already gone."
Now leave! Get home earlier today (or at least on time). Then perhaps you'll start the work day tomorrow feeling more refreshed, enabling you to be even more productive utilizing the same amount of hours.
© 2004 Karen Fritscher-Porter
About The Author
Karen Fritscher-Porter is the publisher and editor of The Effective Admin, a FREE monthly e-zine for administrative support professionals who want practical tips to advance their career and simplify their daily job duties. Learn more about The Effective Admin and sign up today to receive your FREE issues full of helpful career and workplace tips at http://www.admin-ezine.com.
Note: Want to use this article in your print publication, e-zine or website? You can do so for *free* as long as you use it in its complete and unaltered form followed by the credit line above. I'd love to know about its usage too if you'd like to send me a link or copy at email@example.com.
Time Management Workshop with Popcorn St. Petersburg College
The Pomodoro Method and Other Time Management Techniques to ... Workest by Zenefits
Time Management Workshop St. Petersburg College
How to set productivity goals for 2023 | Money | crossroadstoday.com Crossroads Today
8 Time Management Tips When Working in Different Time Zones MUO - MakeUseOf
Time blocking to achieve work-life balance Employee Benefit News
Time management Early County News
Project management strategies everyone can use to boost productivity kuna noticias y kuna radio
Blessed Assurance: Time management | Religion ... The Central Virginian
A Kickstarter employee chronicles her four-day workweek Employee Benefit News
Administration Expected to Endorse Limited Drilling in Alaska Project The New York Times
Briefing: Instagram Introduces New Screen Time Management Tool The Information
Science Simplified 02/01/23 Xavier Newswire
Lawrese Brown '10 establishes consultancy to help business ... Gettysburg College
An Antidote to Optionality | Opinion Harvard Crimson
Have you ever observed your mother's time management skills?: Modi on Pariksha Pe Charcha - Business Insider India
Have you ever observed your mother's time management skills?: Modi on Pariksha Pe Charcha Business Insider India
Saturday Dolphins Mailbag: What If, Time Management, and More Sports Illustrated
Is It Time to Shake Up Your WFH Routine? HBR.org Daily
Western Michigan University: Where dynamic business leaders are ... Study International News
How Workday HCM benefits businesses CIOReview
Analysis: SGA continues to struggle for involvement Xavier Newswire
Director of Administration & Management Michael Donley Remarks ... Department of Defense
Stick with your fitness goals this new year The Hofstra Chronicle
Publicity Coordinator Pedestrian TV
Eye of the Tiger | Persona 4 holds up to high standards Eye of the Tiger
Dissension within previous WWE management led to 2-time United States Champion's release - Sportskeeda
Dissension within previous WWE management led to 2-time United States Champion's release Sportskeeda
From Olympic Competitor to Nursing Student | New York School of ... Touro University
The Payton experience heads to Denver â€“ Crescent City Sports crescentcitysports.com
HEALTH SERVICES MANAGEMENT | News Services | ECU ECU News Services
How to set productivity goals for 2023 | | victoriaadvocate.com Victoria Advocate
Wellness Wednesday: Preventing burnout | Opinion ... N.C. State University Technician Online
Seven Must-Have Subscription Management Capabilities in a First ... Subscription Insider
Mineral County holds 4-H beef weigh-In | Valley Press/Mineral ... Clark Fork Valley Press
The best science-backed self-help books that will improve your life ... - BBC Science Focus Magazine
The best science-backed self-help books that will improve your life ... BBC Science Focus Magazine
Next Women in Business luncheon to feature bestselling author on ... williamsonherald.com
Reliable Real-Time Information on Board Rail Vehicles railway-news.com
Calendar Troy Record
Digital evaluation: Lack of time & training worries management, lecturers in Telangana - Times of India
Digital evaluation: Lack of time & training worries management, lecturers in Telangana Times of India
How to set productivity goals for 2023 Warwick Beacon
Clinical Research Fellow job with KINGS COLLEGE LONDON ... Times Higher Education
Observe the Time Management Skills of Your Mother and You Will Get to Know How to Manage ... - Latest Tweet - LatestLY
Observe the Time Management Skills of Your Mother and You Will Get to Know How to Manage ... - Latest Tweet LatestLY
6 Tips for Better Time Management ReadWrite
I've helped hundreds of people land 6-figure salaries. Here's why you're getting job interviewsâ€”but no offers - CNBC
I've helped hundreds of people land 6-figure salaries. Here's why you're getting job interviewsâ€”but no offers CNBC
Management Accountant â€“ Fiery Angel Ltd. IQ Magazine
How to Maximize Your Marketing Budget in 2023 Entrepreneur
Effective Time Management for Leaders ReadWrite
Eat The Frog: A Useful Technique for Increasing Your Productivity Exploring your Mind
Time Management Tips for College-Bound High School Students U.S. News & World Report
DNI Installs Canon varioPRINT iX3200 Inkjet Press Printing Impressions
How to Make More Time For Your Life
Do you wish you could work less and play more? Are you so stuck in the rut you can't see a way out? Have you ever said I wish I had more time for me?Well there is hope. First of all you have to be aware of your situation, have a strong desire to change and then take action.
You Cant Buy Time
Our daily lives are inundated with a crammed to-do list. We are often rushing throughout our day trying to keep up with ourselves.
Time is on Your Side - Manage it Wisely
How do you manage your time? Or is the more appropriate question do you wish you had better time management skills? I have clients and friends who rely on everything from legal pads to brightly colored sticky notepads to manage their time and appointments - practically everything in their life. I don't understand why some folks place so little importance on something as important as time management!As a professional Virtual Assistant, I have numerous clients and tasks I must complete every day.
Save Yourself Hours of Time in One Easy Step
If you have spent any time at all working at marketing on the web, you will have a long list of affiliate programs and membership sites that you have joined. You may also have a long list if websites that you run.
How to Define a Successful Time Management Strategy
One of the most challenging aspect in life is time management. In the current fast changing environment, time management is very important in both your personal and official life.
Reading -- 10 Ways to Find The Time
Why Read?It's been said that there are three kinds of knowledge:? What you know? What you know that you don't know, and? What you don't know that you don't know.What you know is an asset.
More Time Wanted? Deal with Your Time-wasters Now!
Ever feel that you spend too much time shoring up the performance of some of your people? More time with one or two than with some of the others.And doesn't that just drain you? So think about those employees and how they are draining you and damaging the energy you have.
Spend Less Time at Work and Get More Done
Sounds too good to be true?It really isn't!In fact, studies show that after a certain amount of hours at work each week, the average worker hits diminishing returns for their labor.Here are a couple of reasons this is true.
Top Ten Motivators
Setting goals is the easy part -- but sticking with them over the long run can be a major challenge! Some people think that motivation requires will-power and dedication. Actually, staying motivated is all about setting up an environment that is conducive to you accomplishing your goals.
Could you use a "Stop Doing" list?
One of the tried and true organization and time-management tools is the trusty old "to do" list. I was trained to diligently put one together at the end of the day for the following day, and whatever tasks I failed to complete, to carry it forward.
Four Simple Ways To Take Control Of Your Time And Your Life
It's been said, "That no one has enough time yet, everyone has all that there is." Simple concept - except when you're living your life in the multi-tasking lane.
If Only Your Brain Was the Size Of That Of an Ant You Could Easily Implement Habits
A year and a half ago I was introduced to something called Swarming or Swarm intelligence.A big telecommunication company was actually mimicking ants to improve the performance of some of their products.
Isn't it amazing that some people can produce huge results in the same 24 hours that we all have? Whether or not we realize it, we victimize ourselves by not appropriately deciding what to do with our time. Instead, we let our time decide what to do with us!Time is a commodity, and no matter who we are, we experience many demands on this precious commodity.
Measure Your Time Against Active Inactivity
We don't realize many things we do until we draw our attention to them.Active inactivity doesn't occur only now, it can occur later unless you catch yourself doing it.
Controlling Family Chaos - Time Management for the Family
Balancing a family's varying schedules can be near impossible. Soccer, hockey, dance, skating, Brownies, Scouts, skiing, swimming, school activities, homework, not to mention play and sleep time, fill our children's lives.
Doing Things We Dread
As I sit here in front of the computer I am breaking through on something that I have been tolerating for weeks now? actually sitting down to write this newsletter. I wasn't blocked for ideas - I had a list of them.
A Time-Saving Programming Tactic that Doesn't Work
Let's say that you have a software project that's under severe time pressure. Let's say that this deadline is so tight that you already know it will involve many late nights of black coffee and frenetic programming.
Time Management Tips for Busy Moms
If you are like most moms I know you think to yourself, at least once a day, "I wish I had more time!" Most of my clients come to me at some point asking how they can get more hours in the day. Unfortunately, the truth is you can't.
Time Management -- Urgent vs. Important
"It's just been one of those days?I can't seem to get anything done! I've got way too many things on my "To-Do List". Oh the list started out innocently enough as a single handwritten column on one sheet of lined paper; but now it's grown to a three-column table in a spreadsheet software program! I get no satisfaction from checking off each item as I finish it.
There are times, when I am driving in my car being passed by so many other cars speeding along, that I could swear there is an emergency somewhere and I wasn't invited. It seems everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere.
|home | site map|